4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2018 5:11 PM by Brad Adams

Pathology Data usage help

amir.umar

I have begun creation on Pathology dashboards, has anyone on this forum created any? That can share their insight and examples of the end product?  Lots of healthcare viz available but I am interesting in the Pathology (Biochemistry, Immunology, Haematology, Microbiology, Cellular Pathology) data elements, which I have not really come across (please point me in the right direction if I have missed anything).  I do have a relatively blank canvas and have created a few to begin with. 

Data on the tests undertaken account for approx. 70% of a patients profile, I believe the pathology element is hugely under reported or not utilised in the global picture in most cases and decision making.

Thank you,

Amir

• 1. Re: Pathology Data usage help
          Hope Stiles

Amir,

Unfortunately, I have not worked with Pathology data.  However, I wanted you to know that people did see your post!  Hopefully someone else with some pathology experience can offer some insight.  Either way, when you get something created, we'd love to see it.

-Hope

• 2. Re: Pathology Data usage help
            amir.umar

Thank you so much for your words of support!

Amir

• 3. Re: Pathology Data usage help
              Jeffrey Kritzman

Hi Amir,

I work in Quality & Safety, not Pathology, but we support Pathology with their quality and safety work.  So while we aren't looking at much actual pathology data, we are looking at things like unscanned specimens, unlabeled specimens, wrong label, etc.  See attached pdf for an example of this.  Numbers masked to protect the (not-so-)innocent!

Best,

Jeff

• 4. Re: Pathology Data usage help
                Brad Adams

I've worked with Diagnostic Labs for over 5 years. As far as standard reports go, the operations teams have found volume and time reports to be the most helpful. You can start with test volumes and then start to break down into the subspecialties and benches. turn around time, etc. The managers responsible for scheduling also found it helpful to see the volume of specimens arriving by day of week and 30 minute increment to help set schedules to ensure they meet turn around time service agreements (which is another big deal).

If you are just getting started and your send out costs are high it's a great place to start because you can have a huge impact on cost savings in a very short period of time.