3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2018 9:13 AM by Jim Dehner

Dynamic Dashboards with Pie charts

Alberto Izarraraz

Hi,

I'm trying to create a dynamic dashboard that alternate views between Pie Charts. It is the measure but different dimensions.

I created a parameter and then created a calculated field so I can filter on it. However, when I try to switch between them the blank pie charts do not remove. It appears that pie charts do not get removed when they are null.

Does anyone know how to switch between the two?

I saw that there was a previous one however, it didn't work.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Dynamic Dashboards with Pie charts
          Jim Dehner

see the attached possible solution

the way you make worksheet swap in a dashboard is by placing them in the same lay out container - then hide the title

unlike other chart types there is one issue with pie charts - - tableau reserves a space to place the pie - so while you can jump from pie to pie - they will not be in the exact same place

the chart now returns this

and this

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Dynamic Dashboards with Pie charts
            Alberto Izarraraz

Hi Jim,

Thanks for this. I understand that the pie chart reserves the space. It's pretty much the same issue I was having. Is there any workaround to this? I was trying to make them float but then they overlap each other.

I want to have them in the same space. The solution you showed is what I currently have in the full workbook (not the example) but if I was to reserve the space I would rather just show both pie charts.

I guess more specifically is there a workaround to have it flip the view for pie charts? I use this feature to save space and reduce the amount of dashboards knowing that the pie charts reserve space?

Thank you for looking at it.

• 3. Re: Dynamic Dashboards with Pie charts
              Jim Dehner

Hi the sort answer is that I have not found one - Pie charts are the only chart form that has this issue -

you may consider separate dashboards and an action that jumps from one d/b to another but I am not aware of anything that will get around the issue in a single d/b

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.