1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 20, 2018 6:17 AM by Jim Dehner

how to search for text within a row

nikhil.jog

i came across the below youtube video which show how i can search for a text within a my data

Free Text Search - YouTube

My questions are

1. my data source is a xls file and i noticed that my columns appear in a alphabetical order in tableau. Is there a way to preserve order of the columns?
      2. how could i search across the entire row of the data? do i have to type a formula for each column names similar to what the author has shown in the video?
      3. is there a way to enter multiple keywords in a single parameter and to search for all of them. For example my parameter will be "a or b or c" which will cause tableau to search for a,b, and c (3 searches instead of 1)
      4. is there a way to find out how many times my search keyword was found (in a column or in a row)?
        • 1. Re: how to search for text within a row
          Jim Dehner

Good morning

please in the future limit your questions in a single post

see below

q1

Q2 your thought process is stuck in working with spreadsheets that are "Cell based" - tableau is data base driven using dimensions and measures -

If you want to search "across rows"  and teh values in that row come different dimensions then you will need to search each dimension independently

Q3 Parameters are the way users input a single value into tableau - they are static and are global (affect the entire workbook) and must be backed up with a calculated field to be used in a viz

Q4 - the answer goes back to Q2) but yes you can use countd () in an it  then statement

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.