3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2018 1:25 PM by Joe Oppelt

Number of Options Listed in Dropdown Filter

Tucker Styrkowicz

Hi all,

I'm trying to limit the number of values that appear when I click on a dropdown filter in Tableau. I still want all the possible values to be accessible, but I want a scrollbar to be used rather than having the dropdown options take up the entire visualization screen. Does this make sense / is it possible to limit the number of options visible without scrolling to a specific filter height?

• 1. Re: Number of Options Listed in Dropdown Filter
          Joe Oppelt

I don't know of a control mechanism other than resizing the filter on a dashboard.

In the attached (10.1) I have a dashboard with a giant filter on Dashboard 1.

On Dashboard 2 I just dragged the bottom of the filter up so that the space it occupies is smaller.

• 2. Re: Number of Options Listed in Dropdown Filter
            Tucker Styrkowicz

Hi Joe,

Thank you for looking into this for me. Can this functionality be used when a filter is a part of a drop down instead of a list? For example, if there are 100 items in a dropdown list, when the list is clicked on, it will expand the entire length of the visualization, but I'd like it to only show 10 to 12 options with the ability to scroll down to see more.

• 3. Re: Number of Options Listed in Dropdown Filter
              Joe Oppelt

Oh, I get what you're asking now....

I've never seen a way to mess with that.  So I just tried out some stuff.  I shrunk the height of the dashboard to see if tableau would limit the size of the drop down to the dashboard size.  (Nope.)  I shrunk the size of the window of my desktop to see if Tableau would limit the size of the dropdown to that.  (Nope.)

Those were conditions I could think of where the size of the dropdown mattered.  You might have some other particular need for the limitation.

I suggest that you post a new idea on the IDEAS forum:

Ideas

Spell out a good description of why you would need such a limit on size.  (Actually, you should search the forum to see if it has already been suggested!  And if so, then vote UP the idea.)