3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2018 5:41 PM by vicky hsu

Tableau freezes when exiting Presentation Mode

John Freiberger

Hello,

Today, I updated my copy of Tableau Desktop to 10.5.2 hoping it would resolve an issue I recently started experiencing. Whenever I exit from Presentation Mode by pressing either  [F7] or [ESC], or by clicking the Presentation Mode icon in the lower-right corner, Tableau freezes. None of the menus or objects are responsive. The only resolution is to open Task Manager and stop Tableau. I started to experience this last night, so I updated to 10.5.2 today and am still experiencing this issue. I have a fair number of worksheets and dashboards that I am using to comprise the story for my vizzie. The file size is small (285 KB). My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C55 Series with an AMD A6 processor and 4 GB RAM (3.45 GB usable). I am running Windows 10. I want to preview my story to see how it looks, but I'm concerned about potentially corrupting the file by constantly having to force-stop Tableau. This vizzie is part of my thesis project, so I really don't want to ruin the file...  Anyone else experiencing this? Any thoughts? Thanks!!

John

• 1. Re: Tableau freezes when exiting Presentation Mode
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello John,

I ran across this post from last month.  Sorry this post had slipped through in the Online area.  Did you find a solution or is this still an issue.  I do recommending to back up a copy of your working .twbx often when the view took considerable effort to build and you do not have Tableau Server/Online to save a copy to. 

Patrick 

• 2. Re: Tableau freezes when exiting Presentation Mode
            John Freiberger

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the reply, and my apologies for my lengthy delay. I recently completed my thesis and grad school, so the last few weeks of the semester were quite busy. The issue I experienced with Tableau crashing/freezing seems to have resolved itself. Not sure if it was just my laptop being finicky or due to an update in Tableau Desktop, but I was very conscious of using the F7 function to exit out of presentation mode, and it seemed to behave as expected. I have not experienced that issue since reporting it.

I do have another question, if you don't mind looking into it. I noticed that my published viz is fairly slow in responding. I created a story, and when I click on a button or use the arrows to advance through the slides, it can take a while before the slide actually advances. I've noticed this behavior on my home laptop and my work system (a much faster, more robust system than what I have at home). This is my first viz, and I followed the tutorial videos fairly closely wrt packaging and publishing my viz. I don't know if this sluggish behavior is due to me not packaging it properly?

Here is a link to the viz. The workbook can be downloaded. I can provide a packaged workbook later if necessary.

https://public.tableau.com/views/Examiningthe2016ElectionWasTrumpsVictoryaLandslide/Story1?:embed=y&:display_count=yes

I have enjoyed using Tableau and have a couple of ideas for new visualizations that I hope to start working on soon.

Thanks and regards,

John

• 3. Re: Tableau freezes when exiting Presentation Mode
              vicky hsu

I have the similar issue . Once the i get out of the presentation mode , everyone is frozen . When I click anything , i only hear a lock sound .can someone help with issue?