1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 15, 2018 1:18 PM by Carisa Chang

Difference between extract Workbook and extract published Datasource

phalondon pha

Hi every one,

i have read some articles about Extract but i still don"t understand what is better between extract workbook and extract published Datasource. i suppose that i have 2 cases:

A. Extract published datasource:

1. connect to MS SQL
      2. create an extract datasource
      3. Publish extract Datasource to Tableau Server
      4. create a workbook with live connection the data from the published data source
      5. Publish the Worbook to Tableau Server

==>there are 2 Connections: connection from published datasource to MS SQL is extract; connection from Workbook to published datasource is live

B. Extract workbook

1. connect to MS SQL
      2. create a live datasource
      3. Publish datasource to Tableau Server
      4. create a workbook with extract connection to the published datasource
      5. publish the workbook to Tableau Server

==> there are 2 Connections: connection from published datasource to MS SQL is live; connection from Workbook to published datasource is extract

i have tested and see that the Case B let the workbook much faster to open but it requires more time to create the embedded extract. Case A requires less time to load Data. So which case is the better choice ?

If i choose Case B, does extract workbook still work well when i have 67 million Data records with 10 GB of data? i wonder if the extract is too big, it will cause some cache or Performance Problem to Tableau Server

Thanks