6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2018 2:48 PM by Mark Fisker

Tableau Actions Not Affecting Filter?

Mark Fisker

Hello Everyone!

I currently have a workbook with a dashboard called "Person Drill Down."

Within said dashboard, I have created an action, so that when you click on a person's name, it displays detail about said person (see picture below):

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 1.32.44 PM.png

Issue is, when I click on a person (see red arrows), the filters don't update. Anyone know how to make filters update along with actions? Any help would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Tableau Actions Not Affecting Filter?
          John Sobczak

When you use dashboard action filters it creates it's own filter placed within each of the target sheets (symbolized with the set symbol).  You can expose these filters to the user in the dashboard instead of using the quick filters and they will reflect the values from the actions.

• 2. Re: Tableau Actions Not Affecting Filter?
            Jim Dehner

Hi Mark

your workbook was a twb v the twbx needed

so I used a superstore example to show one way to do it

the db has 2 sheet the first has a generated action (i.e. clicked on the little filter symbol)

On sheet 2 I opened the action filter and applied it back to sheet 1

now it will filter the menu on sheet 1  as well as the sheet 2 in the db

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: Tableau Actions Not Affecting Filter?
              Mark Fisker

Thanks for the quick response Jim!

I lost you at "On sheet 2 I opened the action filter and applied it back to sheet 1" How did you open the action filter on sheet 1?

If it is easier, I attached my tableau dashboard as a twbx 

• 4. Re: Tableau Actions Not Affecting Filter?
                Jim Dehner

Mark

your dashboard is much more complex - but you knew that -

I will have to work on this for a while to see if I can get it to work

Jim

• 5. Re: Tableau Actions Not Affecting Filter?
                  Jim Dehner

Hi Mark

If I haven't broken your workbook I might have something for you

Seriously - there was a lot of interaction of the filters on the d/b so I tried

removing  all of the data source filters form the dashboard and was able to get it to work -  -  if that messes everything up then you can try putting them back one at a time to see where the interaction causes problems

Look ad Dashboard 3 - that is the one the I created

It looks like this

when filtered by the top chart it now looks like this

when filtered by the detail it now looks like this

all the filters are set to the specific work sheets

There are 2 d/b actions

the one form the upper graph to the other sheets is set up like this

The one from the lower chart to the others is set up like this

Let me know if this works

What were the data source filters doing for you?

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 6. Re: Tableau Actions Not Affecting Filter?
                    Mark Fisker

Thanks for all your hard work work Jim!

The source filters were created with the setting:

Apply to Worksheets-> All using related data sources

So that when a filter was applied to one sheet, it would impact all sheets, thus reducing the need to re-filter every time the end user would jump between sheets.

"Account Management/Customer Care Filter" was a filter that would react, based on inputs from the parameter "account management/customer care" so that I could filter on two dimensions based on an true/false statement.

Regardless, thank you for breaking down what you did, step by step with pictures, I am new to tableau, so it really helped!!! I will try to re-add filters, and see what happens!