1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 21, 2018 10:20 AM by Amber Loranger

Issue With Table of Contents and Filtering

Jeffrey Alexander

I'm trying to build a table of contents where each item goes to another sheet with a filter applied, but having a really hard time getting it to work

Have followed some of the other articles on here (i.e. Table of Contents Creation to Navigate to Other Dashboards | Tableau Software but am still completely confused

I am looking to make this as simple as possible for users - they will just click on the menu item and the right dashboard will come up with the exact answer to the item in the dashboard already populated

Here is where I am right now (not too far..)

1) How do I line up the different table of content items vertically (rather than the horizontal way they are lining up)

2) How do I create an action for each content item?  (i.e. if I click on first item, it does x, if I click on second, it does y)

3) How do I create an action item that isn't "field' based - for example, if I click on "Show me only the orioles", how do I go to the "AllPlayers" sheet and filter based on "BAL"  (I'd like to automatically pass the "BAL" without further user involvement)

4) Building on 3, how do I create a multi action (i.e. Fiilter on BAL and Position="Catcher")

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Issue With Table of Contents and Filtering
          Amber Loranger

Hi Jeffrey,

Lining the different table of content items up vertically instead of horizontally is easy - just put them both on Rows instead of both on Columns. But for the rest of it, actions just don't really work that way. Filter actions happen based on the mark you select and the way the view is set up, you have two headers but actually one mark (that's why you see only one blue dot) You could maybe put the two fields on two separate worksheets and use something like this: Table of Contents Creation to Navigate to Other Dashboards | Tableau Software

I would also think about who your audience is, what you want them to get out of interacting with your dashboard/workbook - is it even necessary to start with a table of contents, or do you want to just start with the view of players and allow them to dig in and filter that? In that case, ou might actually be happier using parameters or using a regular filter.

The following articles from our product help explain a little about the differences between parameters, actions and filters and when each might be useful:

Create Parameters Actions, Filter Data from your Views