8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2018 6:00 AM by Yash Panchal

User addition automation to the site from the Active Directory

Yash Panchal

Hello,

We have a single site and we use Active Directory users to login to the site using the active directory credentials. I have site setup and working without any issue. To automate the process I am importing all the active users to the csv file using sql and than using the tabcmd I am creating users to the site and assigning role "Interactor" and it's working fine as well, but whenever I ran the csv file it's overwrite the existing permission (Site Role) to the default "Interactor" role! I looked for any other tabcmd option to refresh the users but I don't think it's there so only the new users gets imported in the users list.

Is there any solution to this problem? Is there anything I need to change to achieve the automation?

Regards,

Yashu

• 1. Re: User addition automation to the site from the Active Directory
          Donna Coles

Hi Yashu

When you say the permission is being overwritten, what it is being overwritten from?  If the existing permission is viewer and the default is now interactor, then overwrite is expected according to this article: Import Users

If this isn't the reason, then to help you further, it might be worthwhile you indicating

- what version of Tableau server you're using

- what the actual command line you're trying to run/have tried to run

Donna

• 2. Re: User addition automation to the site from the Active Directory
            Yash Panchal

Hello Donna,

When I say the permission is overwritten I mean Site Role "Publisher" is over written with "Instructor" role. As I mentioned I would like to automate the process so instead of adding users manually any new user who is added to the Active Directory will automatically be added to the Tableau.

I am using Tableau 10.5 version.

tabcmd createusers "E:\Scripts\User_List\Active_Employee_Usernames.csv" --role "Interactor"  --no-complete

tabcmd addusers "All Users" --users "E:\Scripts\User_List\Active_Employee_Usernames.csv"  --no-complete

I am using this command in the script.

Regards,

Yash

• 3. Re: User addition automation to the site from the Active Directory
              Donna Coles

Hi Yash

So since Publisher is a higher role than Interactor, this sounds like there may be a bug in the process.  It isn't something I do, so I can't test for you - we have users fully sync'd to the AD via security groups, so use the inbuilt sync job on the server to manage users. We've had no issues with this, though are stil using v10.1.1 so can't comment on v10.5 behaviour.  I've had a look on the known issues page ( Known Issues | Tableau Software ) and there isn't anything obvious there either.

I suggest your next step is to open a support case with Tableau directly who can investigate further.

If you do this, please report back with an update.

Regards

Donna

• 4. Re: User addition automation to the site from the Active Directory
                Yash Panchal

Hello Donna,

Yesterday I opened the support case with Tableau but haven't heard anything back from them. I tested with 10.3 and same behavior is noticed there as well. Do you have any suggestion how to automate the process to load the Active Directory users every day? My ultimate goal is to add user automatically when they got created in Active Directory.

Regards,

Yashu

• 5. Re: User addition automation to the site from the Active Directory
                  Donna Coles

Hi Yash

A long time ago I wrote this article Automatically sync Tableau groups with the AD about automating the sync process when using AD groups (rather than csv).  At the time of authoring the sync was somethign you had to initiate manually.  Since v10, the schedule can be managed via the server UI, so this document was reducndant for me.

However, it does contain info on the process we set up to manage it and the powershell script that contains the commands.  I imagine you could do something similar to automate the csv import automatically too, tho note the comment from Keith who looks like he may have used this info to do something with a csv file.

Hope that helps a bit.

Donna

• 6. Re: User addition automation to the site from the Active Directory
                    Yash Panchal

Hello Donna,

That is what I am doing but Instead of syncing Group I am creating users inside the Tableau, but the problem is when I pass the parameter (doesn't matter create user or syncgroup) I have to assign the role and the minimum role is -interactor. Here is what I am using in batch file.

@echo off

set mypath="C:\Scripts\Misc\Get_EncryptedPassword.ps1"

set encrypted="C:\Scripts\Misc\encrypted_password.txt"

for /f "delims=" %%a in ('powershell . %mypath% %encrypted% ') do set pass_word=%%a

tabcmd login -s https://server.name.edu -u username -p %pass_word%

tabcmd createusers "c:\Scripts\User_List\Active_Employee_Usernames.csv" --role "Interactor"  --no-complete

tabcmd addusers "All Users" --users "F:\Scripts\User_List\Active_Employee_Usernames.csv"  --no-complete

tabcmd logout

Regards,

Yashu

• 7. Re: User addition automation to the site from the Active Directory
                      Donna Coles

Hi Yashu

Your original post raised an issue with users' roles being overwritten (ie a publisher being reset to interactor).  I've suggested you raise that with Tableau Support as that doesn't appear to be expected behaviour based on the current help documentation.

Note - I've just found this thread tabcmd createusers in 10.2 which suggests there have been changes in behaviour to the csv import since v 10.2 due to a security issue.  This may or may not be of relevance.

You then, as a second question, asked about how to automate the job, and I've provided you with a suggestion.  Your tabcmd createusers line doesn't appear to be wrong based on other examples of this I have seen.

I think I've done as much as I can to help you progress this.

Regards

Donna

• 8. Re: User addition automation to the site from the Active Directory
                        Yash Panchal

Hello Donna,

Thanks for all your responses. I hope Tableau can resolve this important issue as quickly as possible and in the meantime provide the alternate to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Yashu