2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 12:10 PM by Michael Gilbert

OData V3 & V4 Connection Issues to SmartSimple

Michael Gilbert

OData V3

I previously established an OData V3 connection to SmartSimple. However, when I go to refresh these data, I now get the following error:

SmartSimple OData V3 1 (2018-02-05).png

SmartSimple OData V3 2 (2018-02-05).png

The public link to the OData report is here, but in Tableau I appended the report name to the end of the link, which is here (otherwise it will not connect). I am able to open the link and preview these data in Chrome.

OData V4

In troubleshooting the OData V3 connection, I realized I could establish a V4 connection and import data that way. However, when I do so, the date fields and numeric fields fail to load, returning results of "NULL" throughout:

SmartSimple OData V4 1 (2018-02-05).png

SmartSimple OData V4 2 (2018-02-05).png

The public link to the OData report is here, but in Tableau I appended the report name to the end of the link, which is here (otherwise it will not connect). I am able to open the link and preview these data in Chrome.

Thoughts & Excel

Any thoughts, tips, or insight as to how to go about solving this is much appreciated. I checked the Tableau documentation (here), and also read an older community post (here), but no luck.

I was able to successfully use and import data to Excel with OData V3, however, Excel has issues digesting OData V4.

Michael

• 1. Re: OData V3 & V4 Connection Issues to SmartSimple
          Cheryl Grinds

Hi Michael,

What version of Tableau Desktop are you using currently and how are you trying to refresh the data when connecting to ODATA V3?

The reason I ask is that I took the V3 link you provided about and connected to it in Tableau Desktop 10.5.1. I was able to connect to the link you provided with no issue and I was able to right-click the data source and refresh the data with no issue. If you're using an older version of Tableau Desktop, upgrading to the latest version may resolve the issue.

I saw the same behavior as you did with the ODATA V4 file, so that seems to be a problem with the data source.

If upgrading Tableau Desktop to the latest version doesn't resolve the issue, I recommend opening a ticket with Tableau Technical Support and seeing if they can help determine what's going on.

Hope this helps!

Cheryl

• 2. Re: OData V3 & V4 Connection Issues to SmartSimple
            Michael Gilbert

Hi Cheryl,

I just downloaded 10.5.1 and the issue still persists... but what's strange is I can create a new data source connection using that same V3 link (with the report name appended) and it seems to access it and load fine? So for now I'm going to try and figure out how to replace that existing data source connection. Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Michael