14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2018 7:20 PM by ankit.narula

Alert based on Aging of Workbook

ankit.narula

Hi,

I would like to understand whether there is a way to set up an email alert if a workbook or data source is not used for sometime on Tableau Server.

Got a link:Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want .

The problem is I don't have access to Post Gre however I have data of most of the post gre tables with me.

So if someone can suggest the query used in the same link or any other option

Thanks

Ankit

• 1. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
          Matt Coles

This may be possible. What version of Tableau Server are you using? Or are you using Tableau Online? Also, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "I don't have access to Post Gre however I have data of most of the post gre tables with me".

• 2. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
            ankit.narula

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

Currently we are using 10.3 and by "I don't have access to Post Gre however I have data of most of the post gre tables with me" what I was trying to put is I don't have live connection or rights to post Gre data.

I have mock data with the same headers from all the tables and upon completion of successful testing I can ask for the live connection.

Please suggest.

• 3. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
              ankit.narula

Hi Matt,

Can you please share the process:

I am trying to follow the Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want and downloaded the workbook 'Workbook Aging - VizAlert_v91'.

Changed the source connection.

Now stuck on Notes part.

Please suggest the process ahead.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
                Matt Coles

Okay, so you don't have direct access to the database to play around with it, but if you have something pre-built that works, then your admin will publish it for you? In that case, I'd recommend you ask your Admin to publish each of the Shareable Data Sources for Tableau Server, and grant you permission to connect to each as a published data source on your server. Each exposes data from the repository database for specific purposes. For your workbook aging alert, I'd recommend connecting to TS Content. Not only will it tell you what workbooks exist and how old they are, but also how frequently they are used. Once you have the data sources published and working, you will have the freedom to experiment rather than bug your admin each time you want to change something.

To build an alert for old/stale workbooks with the TS Content data source, you can do the following:

1. Connect to the data source

2. Drag Type to Filters and pick "Workbook"

3. Drag Project Name and Name (of the Item) to Rows

4. Create a calc against the "Created At" field: DATEDIFF('day', [Created At], NOW())

5. Filter against that calc to the age you want to be alerted to.

5a. If you're using conditional subscriptions, filter out all the newer workbooks, keeping only the old ones you want to be alerted for.

6a. If you're using data driven alerts, drag Age to the Columns shelf. It'll become a bar, which you can set your alert on later.

6. Publish the workbook.

7. Set it up as a Conditional Subscription or DDA alert.

If you're trying to have this workbooks dynamically email people as Toby's does, with VizAlerts, we should move this conversation over to that forum.

• 5. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
                  ankit.narula

Hi Matt,

Thanks for putting so much effort.

I have used 'Workbook Aging - VizAlert_v91' connected to Audit Table and View Stats Data.

I was able to get this:

Can I use the workbook that Ii have created using Audit and Stats tables because TS Content data can take couple of days or if you can share some information on how the tables are joined to get TS content data I can do that using the data I have.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
                    Matt Coles

That workbook will work fine, but it won't email the people listed unless you are using VizAlerts, a third-party tool not supported by Tableau. If you use data driven alerts, or conditional subscriptions, it will email just you. It won't be a nicely formatted email as Toby Erkson's images show...it will just be an image of the viz. Which functionality are you looking to get?

• 7. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
                      Toby Erkson

The post of the workbook in question:  Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want

Matt Coles wrote:

If you're trying to have this workbooks dynamically email people as Toby's does, with VizAlerts, we should move this conversation over to that forum.

I'm confused as well.  Is VizAlerts set up on the Tableau Server (this is either Yes or No)?

• 8. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
                        ankit.narula

Hi Matt,

Thanks for replying.

I am getting confused now on which workbook to refer.

Could you please be kind enough to share the workbook that I have to use and the joining structure of the tables from post gre?

Thanks

• 9. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
                          Matt Coles

Let me simplify: Toby's workbook will be fine. Simply follow the instructions I provided above to use Conditional Subscriptions with v10.1 or higher, or data driven alerts with v10.3 or higher.

• 10. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
                            ankit.narula

Hi Matt,

Is this what you are referring:

To build an alert for old/stale workbooks with the TS Content data source, you can do the following:

1. Connect to the data source

2. Drag Type to Filters and pick "Workbook"

3. Drag Project Name and Name (of the Item) to Rows

4. Create a calc against the "Created At" field: DATEDIFF('day', [Created At], NOW())

5. Filter against that calc to the age you want to be alerted to.

5a. If you're using conditional subscriptions, filter out all the newer workbooks, keeping only the old ones you want to be alerted for.

6a. If you're using data driven alerts, drag Age to the Columns shelf. It'll become a bar, which you can set your alert on later.

6. Publish the workbook.

7. Set it up as a Conditional Subscription or DDA alert.

Thanks

• 11. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
                              ankit.narula

or Workbook Aging - VizAlert_v91.twb workbook present in the link below:

Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want

Thanks

• 12. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
                                Toby Erkson

ankit, to show us the exact post you're talking about please go to it, hover your mouse over the second line of the post information header (green arrow in the EXAMPLE below)...

...right-click on it and select Copy link address (for Chrome; Firefox is Copy Link Location; IE is Copy shortcut)...

...and then paste it into your message using Ctrl + v.  Here's the URL from the above example:   Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want

Doing so will allow someone to click on that link and it will take them directly to the post.  That way they don't have to search through the whole thread, which is a real time-saver when it's a long thread!

• 13. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
                                  Matt Coles

Sorry, my fault--that set of instructions was for my data source. It's even easier, since Toby's workbook is already built:

1. Publish the workbook

2. Subscribe to the viz on a daily (or whatever) schedule. Make sure to check the "Don't send if view is empty" checkbox.

Done. Now you get a daily email if content is too old. Change the viz as you like. Make sure only the workbooks you want to be alerted for show up in the viz, or you'll just end up being spammed.

• 14. Re: Alert based on Aging of Workbook
                                    ankit.narula

Hi Matt,

I am after my admin to have access to post gre that's why I am putting the thread on hold till I gain access.

Till then thanks for your support.

Thanks