5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2018 9:53 AM by Michel Pitz

Unable to show all values rather than asterisk in tooltip

Caine Thomas

I posted this as a comment to another string on this topic.  Adding as a new post in case that's what I needed to do

I've tried to use the calculated field example from earlier examples of how to solve this, but still can't figure out how to square the circle.

In the attached packaged workbook I'm trying to get the tooltip to show the the actual values the number in each cell is based on when I hover over in the chart.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Unable to show all values rather than asterisk in tooltip
          Wilson Po

Hi Caine,

The * appears when there are potentially multiple values the mark represent.  By default, any label or dimensions placed onto the tooltip shelf will be aggregated with ATTR(); this checks to see if there are potentially multiple values and attempts to avoid any situation where the granularity added to the tooltip will alter the view.  As the tooltip is designed to simply provide supplementary information about the mark we hover over, rather than additional data detail, this really is done to tie the data granularity of the visualization to be the same as the tooltip.  You can imagine that the tooltip might be overbearing otherwise, if hovering over a mark that represents a particular US state would provide a giant list of cities found underneath it.

The best solution in 10.5 is to actually use viz in tooltip: Viz in Tooltip

As each worksheet can express a different granularity of the data, this is a good way to express further details - as a crosstab or as another visualization.  This might help resolve the issue of wanting to show a detail in the tooltip that is a further drilldown of the data.  

• 2. Re: Unable to show all values rather than asterisk in tooltip
            Michel Pitz

Hi,

Try this:

IF FIRST()==0 THEN

STR(MIN([Field Selection Value]))

ELSEIF MIN([Field Selection Value]) != LOOKUP(MIN([Field Selection Value]), -1) THEN

PREVIOUS_VALUE("") + ", " + STR(MIN([Field Selection Value]))

ELSE

PREVIOUS_VALUE("")

END

I removed dimension "Field" from Rows and I saw the concatenated tooltip

Thanks

• 3. Re: Unable to show all values rather than asterisk in tooltip
              Caine Thomas

That does look like the best solution, but unfortunately we aren't upgrading to 10.5 for a little while so it will need to wait.  Thanks!

• 4. Re: Unable to show all values rather than asterisk in tooltip
                Caine Thomas

Thanks, but actually my objective is to have the Field column lifted and then have the tooltip show all the distinct values as counted in that cell.  So for Classifciations/Difficulty, I'd like o see the "a187, a1xx, a2xx, a3xx" (or whatever the 4 values are).

I do think the Tooltip Viz is the way to go when we get the upgrade, but am still hoping there's a way to tweak this formula so I can get that result.

• 5. Re: Unable to show all values rather than asterisk in tooltip
                  Michel Pitz

I saw what you need. I am trying a few table calculations, but this thing is difficult

Analyzing 4 "a187, a1xx, a2xx, a3xx" in a tooltip is fine, however how can you  analyze 171 words hehe . I am thinking, it is possible to create an action, you click on the number 4 or 171 and you are redirect to another dashboard with anything you want to show, as the 171 tooltips. What do you think?