2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2018 9:39 AM by Cathy Guevara

Security Access for Users

Cathy Guevara

So I have an interesting Security question for implementing to my Tableau

Now Tableau does have an article that lists how to solve my problem - but I find it to be a very manual process and I would like to make it more automatic

I'm referring to their Row Level security article here: Restrict Data Access with User Filters and Row Level Security

Now my security for my dashboard requires some users access ALL filter options in the Dashboard while some users can only access their own User assigned stuff

The first option gives me what I'm looking for but doesn't allow for more dynamic work as I'd have to go in and assign whom is assigned to what whenever there is a new user created or change (I currently have a table in MSSQL that lists all users and their level of access)

However, the dynamic section of the article - is only giving me half of what I'm looking for.  It assigns people to their appropriate filters- which is great! But doesn't accommodate for users who are allowed to see EVERYONES items at all times.

So I'm not too sure how to proceed on how to allow my level of security to my dashboard

EDIT:

I currently have a table that determines a users accessibility

UserID | Permission

Cathy   | FULL ACCESS

Jane     | SINGLE ACCESS

I would really like to use this table to try and configure the permissions in the dashboard since this table is going to hold the permission information in the future for users to update themselves (via a UI)

Message was edited by: Cathy Guevara

• 1. Re: Security Access for Users
          Wilson Po

Hey Cathy,

A good solutions is simply elaborating on the calculation to provide the extra exception for the group of users seeing all data.  A good way to handle this is assigning those users in a user group on Server, and then constructing the dynamic user filter logic with something like this:

[User]=USERNAME()

OR

ISMEMBEROF("See all Data Group")

This creates an exception for anyone in that group to automatically have this filter be TRUE regardless of the data entitlement table.   This might help: User Functions

• 2. Re: Security Access for Users
            Cathy Guevara

I'm actually making an edit to my question since it actually wasn't super clear when I just re-read it

I currently have a table that determines a users accessibility

UserID | Permission

Cathy   | FULL ACCESS

Jane     | SINGLE ACCESS

I would really like to use this table to try and configure the permissions in the dashboard since this table is going to hold the permission information in the future for users to update themselves (via a UI)