4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2018 2:09 AM by Pierre-Benoit QUERTON

Does the timeout setting apply to mobile app?

Pierre-Benoit QUERTON

Hello there,

I'm facing a challenge with the timeout settings (Changing the User Session Timeout | Tableau Software). For security reasons, I've been requested to reduce the timeout of our tableau server but it appears that the settings does not affect the Mobile App.

What we've done so far is on our Test Tableau Server 10.4

• setup the timeout to 3mn :

tabadmin stop

tabadmin set wgserver.session.idle_limit 3

tabadmin set wgserver.session.apply_lifetime_limit true

tabadmin configure

tabadmin start

• on my pc's borwser (IE): the page is automatically refreshed after being idle for 3mn
      • However, on the mobile, nothing happen, the user can still continue working after being idle for 3mn. I would have excepted the user to be requested to login again

I've found a old discussion (Is that any session timeout for Tableau Mobile (IPad) ?) but it does not help.

Is there anything I did wrong or I'm missing something ?

Do I have as well to setup this setting to 3 minutes --> wgserver.session.lifetime_limit ?

thank you for your support guys!

Pierre-Benoît

• 1. Re: Does the timeout setting apply to mobile app?
          Toby Erkson

From the 10.4 server admin documentation, Security Hardening Checklist , see #12.  You need to also set the wgserver.session.lifetime_limit.

• 2. Re: Does the timeout setting apply to mobile app?
            Pierre-Benoit QUERTON

Hello Toby,

Thanks for the feedback, we just tired the following settings on our Testing server:

tabadmin stop

tabadmin set wgserver.session.apply_lifetime_limit true

tabadmin set wgserver.session.lifetime_limit 4

tabadmin set wgserver.session.idle_limit 3

tabadmin configure

tabadmin start

Unfortunately, the mobile app did not behave as we expected. We were hoping the mobile app would force a logout of user after 3 or 4 minutes. Our use case is to ensure that forgot open tableau app on mobile are automatically logout to prevent "data leak"..

My question would be, Is it possible to have such behaviour ?

And if so, is it possible that another configuration on the server generate some sort of conflict ?

BTW: I've double check the workgroup.yml file and notice this key [wgserver.session.login_continuation_limit: 60], however it does not seems to be documented... Don't know if it has any influence on the matter.....

Thank you again for your feedback and hope you or any good soul would have an idea

Cheers

• 3. Re: Does the timeout setting apply to mobile app?
              Toby Erkson

If you have a QA Tableau Server I recommend simply testing with it.  That way if something breaks you simply roll-back your changes.

Pierre-Benoit QUERTON wrote:

My question would be, Is it possible to have such behaviour ?

And if so, is it possible that another configuration on the server generate some sort of conflict ?

BTW: I've double check the workgroup.yml file and notice this key [wgserver.session.login_continuation_limit: 60], however it does not seems to be documented... Don't know if it has any influence on the matter.....

Good investigating!  That may be an influence and the reason I say that is due to this documented setting, backgrounder.extra_timeout_in_seconds.  I have it changed on my servers and here's the snippet of the code from my batch script I run:

REM Seconds beyond the query limit before a task is canceled, in seconds (300 seconds = 5 minutes)
              tabadmin set backgrounder.extra_timeout_in_seconds 300

My above code doesn't affect you, it simply shows that there are server settings that exist that allow some tasks additional completion time and you may have found such a setting

I would recommend contacting Tableau Support, present your situation and ask if this setting is also necessary.  Oh, and let us know whatever your final solution may be.

• 4. Re: Does the timeout setting apply to mobile app?
                Pierre-Benoit QUERTON

Thanks again for your feedback, indeed I'll open a ticket and see how we can make this works

If we found a solution them I'll definitively share it... and if no solution then... I'll share that too

Keep you posted!

cheers