8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 4:59 AM by Simon Runc

Gantt Charts with Actual/Planned Marks

Scott Coulter

Hi All,

I have an existing Gantt chart that tracks project delivery with a series of 5 milestones.

This functions well, however I now have a requirement to add a second line per project, to visualize the difference between 'Planned' and 'Actual' delivery dates at each milestone.

Currently I have all of these on the one line. I would love a way to visualize these alongside each other for each project.

Is this possible using the data I have, and if so, can anyone offer some advice?

Many thanks,

Scott

• 1. Re: Gantt Charts with Actual/Planned Marks
          Jyothisree Rayagiri

Create a calculated field

Status  -

if CONTAINS([Pivot Field Names],'Actual') then 'Actual'

else 'Planned' end

Drop the Status dimension next to the assignment name in your view

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Gantt Charts with Actual/Planned Marks
            Simon Runc

hi Scott,

And just one more addition to Jyothisree's solution...

This will break out the Events into a single name for each event

[Event]

REPLACE(REPLACE([Pivot Field Names],'Planned ',''),'Actual ','')

and use this in your colouring.

Hope that makes sense, and is what you were after.

• 3. Re: Gantt Charts with Actual/Planned Marks
              Scott Coulter

Both,

Thank you for your responses. This is exactly what I am looking for!

Last thing would be, is there a way I can use a calculated IF that would apply a RAG colouring to the Gantt line, if the 'Actual' date is greater than the 'Planned' date. 

For example, Project 1 planned date for Draft Report is 13/10, however actual date is 20/10 - therefore the line defaults to Red?

I'm not sure if this is possible on a gantt chart, but interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again,

Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Gantt Charts with Actual/Planned Marks
                Simon Runc

Hi Scott,

How you do this visually might need a bit of playing, but the general formula to work out the difference can be done like this (there are other ways, but here's one using LoDs)

{FIXED [Event],[Assignment Name]: MAX(IIF([Planned/Actual] = 'Planned',[Pivot Field Values],NULL))}

-

{FIXED [Event],[Assignment Name]: MAX(IIF([Planned/Actual] = 'Actual',[Pivot Field Values],NULL))}

In the attached I've extended this like so

[Planned/Actual Diff - LoD]

IF [Planned/Actual] = 'Planned' THEN

IF ({FIXED [Event],[Assignment Name]: MAX(IIF([Planned/Actual] = 'Planned',[Pivot Field Values],NULL))}

-

{FIXED [Event],[Assignment Name]: MAX(IIF([Planned/Actual] = 'Actual',[Pivot Field Values],NULL))})

>0 THEN 1

ELSE 2

END

ELSE 0

END

So if we are in a Planned Row, the the formula equates to 1 if the actual is before the planned, or 2 if it's after the planned...and equated to 0 for the 'Actual' Row. I've then used shapes to put an up arrow for 1, a down arrow for 2 (all your sample data is 2s) and for 0 I've just selected a filled circle. This is just one idea, so the colour still reflects the event, and shape gives the Before/After, but only in the planned row.

• 5. Re: Gantt Charts with Actual/Planned Marks
                  Scott Coulter

Hi Simon,

Thanks for this - I really like your example with the arrows, exactly what I am after.

Forgive my newbie questions but I am struggling to implement this. Assuming 'Planned/Actual' refers to 'Status' and not a new field, what mark should I drag this onto to give the shape visual?

• 6. Re: Gantt Charts with Actual/Planned Marks
                    Simon Runc

So I've dragged on the [Planned/Actual Diff - LoD] field to the shape (as a descrete, blue, dimension)

I then set the shape of 0 to be a filled circle, the shape of 2 to be the down arrow and the shape for 1 (although we don't have one here) to be an up arrow)

Rather than 0,1,2 you could equate them to be "Before Planned", "After Planned", "Actual Row (Circle)", which might make it a bit more readable to set up (I just prefer working with integers when I can!)

Let me know if that still doesn't make sense, and I'll do you a quick GIF

• 7. Re: Gantt Charts with Actual/Planned Marks
                      Scott Coulter

This is perfect Simon, thanks so much for all your help!

• 8. Re: Gantt Charts with Actual/Planned Marks
                        Simon Runc

Cool. Yes the confusing bit is that the circle (on the Actual Row) is a shape (just the circle shape) and not the Circle Mark Type!