3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 4:07 AM by Zhouyi Zhang

Publishing .twb file

Stephen Morgan

I have a .twb workbook that uses the same data source in both the live and test Tableau environments. The test and live workbooks both point to the test server/database. As this is the case, when I promote the workbook after making changes, from test to live, then I assume that don't need to re-publish the data source in any way, just publish the workbook. Is this correct? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Publishing .twb file
          Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Stephen

If the data source name and columns are the same in both environments, it should be correct.

ZZ

• 2. Re: Publishing .twb file
            Stephen Morgan

Thanks. If the data source is effectively the same but resides on both test and live environments and I make a change to the test data source & workbook, would I then need to publish the changed data source to live before publishing the workbook? (assuming the database changes have been made on both environments).

Also, with the above in mind do I need to treat .twb and .twbx files differently in that scenario?

thanks

• 3. Re: Publishing .twb file
              Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Stephen

If anything changes to the data source level, you need republish the data source to live env. But if only create calculation fields in workbook level this is fine.

In terms of twbx, as the data is embedded within the workbook, when you publish workbook to live, the data source will be published as well.

ZZ