3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 10:45 PM by Pankhudi Gupta

How do I maintain same workbook metrics (views) after updating workbook?

Pankhudi Gupta

Hi all,

We have a popular report on tableau server, which had about 2500 views, indicating that it was the most popular report and making it easier for the report users to find it.

Now after the new year we had a few changes to be made into it. I downloaded this copy and re-published with the same name, it but its views shoot down to 0!

However if I move this workbook with 2500 views (highlighted) to another folder it retains its workbook view statistics.

Is there a way to replace the workbook (For example: MIS-097) with a new one, and yet maintain its workbook statistics (Views)??

• 1. Re: How do I maintain same workbook metrics (views) after updating workbook?
          Brandon Babbitt

Are you overwriting the existing workbook with the same, or are you deleting the old workbook and republishing again with the same name?  You should be able to overwrite a workbook with the same name and retain the view counts.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I maintain same workbook metrics (views) after updating workbook?
            arun.yadav

Hi Pankhudi,

I'm very sure that if you simply overwrite ,it won't wipe out your workbook stats.

It can only happen if you are publishing it with a new name, sometimes it could happen unintentionally with some blank space going at the end of the workbook name or sometimes (1) , (2) kind of number ( which happens because we downloaded same file multiple times in our download folder and Windows will append number to the file name ) or if you are deleting the old workbook and publishing a new one.

Regards,

Arun

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I maintain same workbook metrics (views) after updating workbook?
              Pankhudi Gupta

Hi all,

Thank you all for your response.

I have the problem resolved now.

The approach I was using earlier was either:

1. Publishing a new instance and then deleting the old  or
              2. Deleting the old and then publishing a new version

Due to this the ‘ workbook ids’ in the backend DB were changing, hence the stats start again as the database sees these quite rightly as completely different instances (you're inserting records in to the db, not altering).

This was the root cause why we were facing the challenge of losing our workbook stats, even after giving it the exact same name.

• We need to download it and publish the same to the desired Folder.
              • While attempting to do so, we get the following warning:

'The workbook name is already in use.Do you want to overwrite it?'

• Click on Yes and publish it. The workbook views are retained.

As we are overwriting the existing report, so the 'workbook id' stored in the Tableau server backend - postgres database is being retained (essentially updating an existing record in the db), and also updating its size, tabs or modifications.

The only scenario where the views do not get retained, even after publishing with the same name is when there are changes in the data sources and their connections. Following this, it will consider it as a new 'workbook id'.