4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2018 5:16 AM by gauthier.bonnot

Issues with ranking dynamic rescaling on dashboard

gauthier.bonnot

Hello everyone

I am having a hard time figuring how to fix my dashboard, so the ranking in the bottom left table does not rescale as I apply filters.

Capture d’écran 2018-02-11 à 00.02.55 (2).png

I have actually solved that problem on my table worksheet by using the LOOKUP function but on the dashboard I can't fix it.

What I want to achieve is when I select the state dimension on the hex map, it filters via the LOOKUP table calculation on the table...

Many thanks ahead if you can help me!

• 1. Re: Issues with ranking dynamic rescaling on dashboard
          Jim Dehner

good morning

is this the expected result?

if so - then edit the filter for your states as shown

apply it to ranking

BTW - cool viz

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Issues with ranking dynamic rescaling on dashboard
            gauthier.bonnot

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for your time and reply!

This is not exactly what I am trying to achieve though, the problem with this method is that the rank gets recalculated, if I would have selected say Mississippi, which actually ranks 39, it would then show 1.

I have read through the forums that this is due to table calculations being done in last by tableau, so when there's only one state selected, it will automatically rank it 1.

The solution seems to lie in the LOOKUP function which I used in the Lookup State field, then used as a filter in the ranking table. It then works as expected on the Ranking Table worksheet but I cannot replicate this behavior in the dashboard actions.

The problem is that I when I select a state on the hexmap, I filter through State and not Lookup State.

I thought there might be a way that when triggering the State filter in the hexmap, it targets the Lookup state one on the table, but I couldn't manage that in the actions.

I had figured another solution in which I computed the ranks in excel and then joined them to the data, this fixed the issue but I thought there might be an "all tableau" solution...

Thanks for the compliment

• 3. Re: Issues with ranking dynamic rescaling on dashboard
              Jim Dehner

yu have a good understanding of the base issue - Table calculations are at the bottom so you can't take their results back up the order

Image result for tableau order of operations

your other solution is a way to go

Jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Issues with ranking dynamic rescaling on dashboard
                gauthier.bonnot

Thanks again, I will go back to that solution then.

Have a great day