6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 10:01 AM by arun.yadav

Tableau server data location

Chandra Manral

Hi All,

Could somebody help in understanding the way Tableau stores various forms of data like extracts, logs, workbooks, postgres metadata etc. I know based on the installation location  selected , Tableau stores the data under a pre-defined folder hierarchy in 'Programadata' folder. However I would like to know if there is a way we can change the default location for main folder or subfolders meant for keeping Extracts or Postgres data may be to a shared network location rather than local drive .

Also, it would be interesting to know how this part is managed in a clustered environment.

Thanks,

Chandra

• 1. Re: Tableau server data location
          Sylvain Cogné

Hi Chandra,

we currently have the same issue here that in a "one node" Standard Tableau Server Installation, you cannot customize the Location of your data and every Folder is installed within the Installation Location...

Data extract :

Tableau Server > data  > tabsvc > dataengine > extract

Data tds :

Tableau Server > data > tabsvc > dataserver

Tableau Logs

Tableau Server > data > logs

In a Distributed Environments you would be able to decide on which node the data are located but not on a Standard install... Of course you need a dedicated cluster licence to configure this kind of installation.

But as best practice of course, it is recommended to realize a scripted backup of tableau Server and moove this tsbak file to another partition/hardware in order to secure your data.

I hope it will help you

BR

Sylvain

• 2. Re: Tableau server data location
            Chandra Manral

Thanks Sylvain for these pointers . However I am still not clear if there is a way to customize or change al the default storage location for a Tableau server setup both for standalone and clustered installation.

We can not rely too much on the server's local storage for everything as it happens in other application where NFS storage is used as centralized storage.

• 3. Re: Tableau server data location
              arun.yadav

Hi Chandra,

As far as I know there is no straightforward way to modify these configurations and also we are not supposed to modify any configuration like this else it might lead to issues which might not come under the terms and condition of support from Tableau Technical Support team. They advise not to modify the system configuration / settings related to Tableau Server.

Although every configuration is in xml / text file only and values can be modified with hit and trial. But because of this hit and trial , if Tableau Server goes down , Tableau Team won't help then.

Best way could be to have daily backups / weekly backups which are running during off-peak hours and copying the content to centralized storage.

Another option is to ask the infrastructure team to run file system backups on daily / weekly basis. Both the backup's (Tableau Server and File System) depends upon size of your Tableau Repository and Setup.

Moving data away from Server nodes might lead to performance degrade as it will introduce network latency and other factors.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Arun

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tableau server data location
                Sylvain Cogné

Hi Chandra, Hi Arun,

after a few more tests, I can only ( and sadely...) confirme you what Arun says. In a single node Installation, there is no way to customize the data Folder Location without corrupting the Installation. We have tried it using a Mount file to store data into another (bigger) partition of our Server. It works first but then when doing a backup and restoring it, you will Crash the Server...

Actually, without having a Cluster Installation, there is no way to customize it as you wish...

Hope it helps.

Sylvain

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Tableau server data location
                  Chandra Manral

Thanks Arun and Sylvain for confirming this point. So in a standalone installation we can not configure this part . However in case of distributed installation this can be customized to some extent where-in we can define which node will hold what type of data (like extract, metadata, database etc.) .

Can you guys also elaborate which all Tableau processes will need good amount of storage if we run them in cluster nodes along with the location on the respective node machine.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Tableau server data location
                    arun.yadav

Hi Chandra,

Mainly in distributed environment,  mainly storage is needed on the nodes on which data engine / file store processes will be running.

I will suggest to take a look at below link which will give you an idea about how to distribute server processes.

Distributed Installation Recommendations

Also , now it depends upon your server version as well. With release of hyper in 10.5 , we can say that in pre-hyper era, setup used to be different and now it's different.

One thing I would like to know over here is is there any specific need that you are stressing upon storage , because as per my experience storage / CPU / RAM , they all have to configured together in a balanced way. Certainly if RAM requirement is less which indicates that probably a not so big cluster setup is planned, so accordingly less storage will be required.

Regards,

Arun

1 of 1 people found this helpful