13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2018 6:33 AM by Mehmet Bayburt

Hyper - publish data source

Rithi Son

Hello,

I'm updating a tool that uses the Tableau Server REST API v2.2 to upload and publish hyper files as data sources. I was unsuccessful with v2.2, so I am testing v2.8.

It seems that the hyper files are being converted to tde for both versions. v2.2 is not surprising, but I expect v2.8 to work fine. Are other REST API developers experiencing this?

Will v2.2 be able to upload/publish hyper files?

Thanks,

Rithi Son

• 1. Re: Hyper - publish data source
          Carisa Chang

Hi Rithi,

REST API v 2.8 should be able to work on .hyper files - as it was released with Tableau Server 10.5. Version 2.2 will not work with .hyper files - it has no idea what they are

REST API v 2.8 can publish both .hyper and .tde files - but if you are publishing a .hyper file it should not show up on Tableau Server as a .hyper file. Can you elaborate on what you are seeing? Are you publishing a .hyper file?

• 2. Re: Hyper - publish data source
            Rithi Son

Hi Carisa,

Thank you for the response. Sorry for my late reply. I've been out the last week.

I upgraded to use v2.8. However, I am still getting the same issue.

First off, you said "if you are publishing a .hyper file it should not show up on Tableau Server as a .hyper file." To clarify, if I publish a .hyper file with v2.8, it will still show as a .tde in Tableau Server?

I have attached the .hyper file with a screenshot of Tableau Server 10.5 showing that it is a .tde file. The .hyper file is converted to a hex encoded binary file before being sent as the payload. The .hyper file works fine when using Tableau Desktop to publish.

• 3. Re: Hyper - publish data source
              Carisa Chang

Hi Rithi,

My apologies, that was a typo! A .hyper file should be a .hyper file once published - and shouldn't show up as a .tde.

I'm noticing in your screenshot that the name of the file ends in ".tde" - but the Connection type shows "Hyper". This indicates the extract was taken from a .tde file, not that the current connection is a .tde file.

For example, when I take an extract of the Superstore Sample Excel file included with Tableau Desktop 10.5, here is what my screen shows:

Capture.PNG

The extract was taken from a .xls file, and is a connection to a Microsoft Excel datasource.

• 4. Re: Hyper - publish data source
                Rithi Son

So it just means the original data source is a .tde, but in Tableau Server it connects to a Hyper data source.

I believe I'm sending a .hyper file as the request payload, which is why I attached 109_hyper_06.hyper to my last message.

See attached images. I downloaded 109_hyper_06.tde from Tableau Server, which downloads as 109_hyper_06.tdsx. Then I opened it with Tableau Desktop and republished with a new name. The file extension is now .hyper. I did the same thing with a TDE file 109_tde_06.tde. When it was republished, it kept the same file extension .tde. Why did the hyper file change its extension but the tde file did not?

• 5. Re: Hyper - publish data source
                  Carisa Chang

Hi Rithi,

You could open a case with Tableau Technical Support to go through the same steps you have (thank you for testing so thoroughly) and confirm what is occurring on the backend. My initial guess would be that republishing with a new name is causing the full file name to update (Hyper file to .hyper and TDE file to .tde), but that's only an educated guess on my part.

• 6. Re: Hyper - publish data source
                    Rithi Son

Thanks, Carisa. I will follow-up with them. Your help is very much appreciated!

• 7. Re: Hyper - publish data source
                      chirag kalra

Hi Rithi,

I am facing somewhat similar issue. When I publish the extract from tableau desktop 10.5, it shows as .hyper format. But when I download the same data source from tableau 10.5 server, it downloads as .tdsx format.

I have a postgreSQL connection. I have attached the screenshot for more input.

First image is of the tableau desktop 10.5 showing Type: Hyper in the extract properties

Second image is of Tableau server showing nothing about the Hyper connection and the same data source downloads as .tdsx

Your inputs would be highly appreciated

Best

Chirag

1.PNG

2.PNG

• 8. Re: Hyper - publish data source
                        Gabriel Natucci

Hi Carisa!

I'm facing a similar issue with the Tableau Server 10.5, while trying to publish a .hyper file through the REST API.

After I uploaded the data successfully, I got both the file format and connection type as TDE. I'm not sure whether this is just a naming problem, or in fact the file I'm using is actually a TDE file, written with a .hyper extension. Can you help me? Attached are both the Tableau Server screenshots after publishing, and the original Hyper extract.

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Hyper - publish data source
                          Carisa Chang

Hi Gabriel,

Any file with a .hyper extension is a Hyper-based extract file, but if you'd like to have someone take a deeper look to confirm, the Tableau Technical Support team can look at your file and logs and confirm that for you

• 10. Re: Hyper - publish data source
                            Gabriel Natucci

Hi Carisa,

Good to know !

I was suspicious of the file because I can't see any other reason for the "format change" on the server

I will check with them. Thank you so much for the quick response!

• 11. Re: Hyper - publish data source
                              pavan pothnis

Hi Carisa Chang,

I have an exact same problem, could you please elaborate on

"I'm noticing in your screenshot that the name of the file ends in ".tde" - but the Connection type shows "Hyper". This indicates the extract was taken from a .tde file, not that the current connection is a .tde file"

I have .hyper file, which is getting uploaded as .tde to the server and online when uploaded through Rest API Version 2.8, does that mean that the .hyper file that I have has the tde extract inside and not .hyper extract.

Does this also mean the I have tde file with a .hyper format, I want to understand this as when I manually upload the same file, it gets uploaded with .hyper and not .tde.

Please advise 

• 12. Re: Hyper - publish data source
                                Carlo Sanchez

Hi,

I have also experienced this.

But on our side, we are generating the .hyper files with data coming from a web service.

Interesting thing is, that after my .hyper files are generated and I publish to TabServer 10.5.2 with the tabcmd cli they come across as .tde files.

It's really weird.

Any help would be appreciated, happy to share the python logic used to generate and publish the data, just ping me.

Fig 1. Show generated .hyper files

tab_10.5.2_hyper_generated_files.png

Fig 2. Shows TabServer 10.5.2 after publish with cmd with .hyper files displaying as .tde's ???

tab_10.5.2_tde_not_hyper_after_publish.png

• 13. Re: Hyper - publish data source
                                  Mehmet Bayburt

I have found the extract files that Tableau Server creates. If it is installed on Windows, extact files that Tableau Server creates are located at: C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\dataengine\extract

1 of 1 people found this helpful