4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2018 2:00 PM by Dan Rahm

Tabmon - Unable to start . Access is denied

Sadaquat Mohammad

Hi All,

I am trying to restart tabmon service and getting below error. The user from which tabmon configured is admin and it has all privileges to stop assign that service.

---------------------------

Services

Windows could not start the TabMon service on Local Computer.

Error 5: Access is denied.

OK  

After debugging it further in tabmon.logs, it looks like some referential integrity is broken. Please let me know if somebody had face similar situation before or aware of fix for these. Below are tabmon logs -

2018-02-05 09:56:36,405 [5] INFO TabMon.TabMonAgent - Initializing TabMon..

2018-02-05 09:56:36,405 [5] DEBUG TabMon.CounterConfig.CounterConfigLoader - Loading persistent performance counters from D:\TabMon\Config\Counters.config..

2018-02-05 09:56:36,405 [5] DEBUG TabMon.CounterConfig.CounterConfigLoader - Loading performance counters from D:\TabMon\Config\Counters.config..

2018-02-05 09:56:36,405 [5] DEBUG TabMon.CounterConfig.CounterConfigLoader - Successfully validated 'Config\Counters.config' against 'Resources\CountersConfig.xsd'.

2018-02-05 09:56:36,405 [5] DEBUG TabMon.CounterConfig.CounterConfigLoader - Loading Perfmon counters..

2018-02-05 09:56:36,765 [5] ERROR TabMon.TabMonAgent - Failed to initialize counter sampler using counters from configuration file: Cannot load Counter Name data because an invalid index 'WorkflowServiceHost 4.0.0.0' was read from the registry.

Aborting..

2018-02-05 09:56:36,765 [5] FATAL Topshelf.Runtime.Windows.WindowsServiceHost - The service did not start successfully

Topshelf.TopshelfException: The service did not start successfully (returned false).

at Topshelf.Runtime.Windows.WindowsServiceHost.OnStart(String[] args)

2018-02-05 09:56:36,780 [1] ERROR Topshelf.HostFactory - The service terminated abnormally

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at TabMon.TabMonAgent.Dispose(Boolean disposing)

at TabMonService.TabMonServiceBootstrapper.Dispose(Boolean disposing)

at TabMonService.TabMonServiceBootstrapper.Dispose()

at Topshelf.Builders.ControlServiceBuilder`1.ControlServiceHandle.Dispose()

at Topshelf.Runtime.Windows.WindowsServiceHost.Dispose(Boolean disposing)

at System.ComponentModel.Component.Dispose()

at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.Run(ServiceBase[] services)

at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.Run(ServiceBase service)

at Topshelf.Runtime.Windows.WindowsServiceHost.Run()

at Topshelf.HostFactory.Run(Action`1 configureCallback)

Regards,

Sadaquat

• 1. Re: Tabmon - Unable to start . Access is denied

Hi Sadaquat,

Hah, tabmon, long time no see!

Have you entered the IP address instead of the Server name?

Did you install and initialize PostGres when installing TabMon? It might have been already installed in another directory.

Try uninstalling PostGres and Tabmon and trying again if the Server name didn't work either; And let me know

----------

Lénaïc RIÉDINGER, Global Community Engineer Tableau

Tableau Community Forums | Knowledge Base

If you see a Helpful or Correct response, please mark it thanks to the buttons below the targeted post!

• 2. Re: Tabmon - Unable to start . Access is denied
            Sadaquat Mohammad

Hi

I have tried both. As I mentioned earlier, the service was up and running fine before. I was rebooting the tableau service and thought of restarting tabmon too. Tableau services are successfully come online but tabmon is throwing since then. I don't think this is related installation or configuration related issue.

The reason I cannot do fresh installation again because this happen in enterprise production environment and at enterprise level for my client I cannot do any installation and configuration without approvals/justification.

Please let me know if you have any other workaround. I had opened a case with tableau support but since this is free tool they redirected me to check on forum.

Regards,

Sadaquat

• 3. Re: Tabmon - Unable to start . Access is denied
              Amanda Boyle

Thanks for sharing! There is actually a Dev Office Hours session tomorrow morning at 10:00am with Rahul Motwani and others members of our Dev team and they will be discussing TabMon along with other server admin tools. I can share this with them and hopefully you can join as well! It's a community program and a great opportunity to connect. Here is think link to register + more details: Webinar Registration - Zoom

• 4. Re: Tabmon - Unable to start . Access is denied
                Dan Rahm

Hey Sadaquat,

It looks like there is an issue with your Perfmon counter registry settings. I've looked into this a bit and it looks like running the following command in a command window, as an administrator, is likely to resolve the issue:

lodctr /R

If successful, you should see something like this:

Info: Successfully rebuilt performance counter setting from system backup store

Please note, this is a Windows command, so use it at your own risk. Here is some documentation on the command: Lodctr

Let me know if this helps you out.

-Dan