7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2018 8:19 PM by deborah.henry

Fiscal Year Overwritten When Data Refreshed

deborah.henry

When I change the FY Start period on dimensions, I notice that when the data is refreshed, it is overwritten.  Is this a feature that needs to be added to a request?

The TDE file is refreshed by Alteryx and is overwritten every 12 hours.  If I can't solve this in Tableau, I will look to solving it in Alteryx,

Naturally, I'd prefer for it work in Tableau.  It makes sense that if a user changes the FY Start, they are intending for it to stick.

• 1. Re: Fiscal Year Overwritten When Data Refreshed
          Simon Runc

hi Deborah,

So yes I think this is the case...the "change" to how you want the field handled (i.e. FY start), I think, get's written into the workbook (and then 'might' also get put in as part of the TDE definition, when you do something like optimize the extract...when/how 'Meta Data' changes and calculations get written, in the workbook or to the TDE can be a bit of the dark-arts!!)

Can you just confirm the exact flow...there is a Tableau workbook, with this TDE as it's datasource? and then every 12 hours this TDE is refreshed (i.e. rebuilt) in Alteryx? or do you provide this TDE to be connected to "fresh" workbooks?

Also just to save follow up questions! how big is the data?

• 2. Re: Fiscal Year Overwritten When Data Refreshed
            deborah.henry

I'm still new to these tools, so I'll try to explain it logically (and appreciate corrections).

I have an Alteryx workflow that sources data from other objects and the results is a TDE file that is published on the company server.

The dashboard is scheduled to refresh from this TDE every 12 hours.  Every time the dashboard is refreshed it loses the FY settings.

• 3. Re: Fiscal Year Overwritten When Data Refreshed
              Simon Runc

no worries...it is confusing!

And does Alteryx do the publishing?, or does it dump the TDE somewhere access-able and then the server refreshes the TDE from that TDE?

• 4. Re: Fiscal Year Overwritten When Data Refreshed
                deborah.henry

It's the later.  Alteryx sends the TDE to the company server, then the server refreshes the TDE from that TDE.

Seems like the dimension shouldn't revert back to the default setting, because it's been changed.  This doesn't happen when we change the default formatting for numbers, etc., so why FY Start?  Hmmmm....

• 5. Re: Fiscal Year Overwritten When Data Refreshed
                  Deepak Rai

Can you Create a Calculated field for FISCAL YEAR instead of selecting from Menu and use it.

if month([Date])>=7 then year([Date])+1 else year([Date]) END

• 6. Re: Fiscal Year Overwritten When Data Refreshed
                    Simon Runc

Yes that is very odd...As the way you are doing it, is as I would have suggested!

It does seem the "custom start FY" is a very delicate setting!...I think it's actually a bug (and I am very hesitant to call 'bug'!)

Looking in the workbook XML (it just appears to be part of the usual Meta Data, so no idea why this part would be lost)

I think the suggestion from Deepak is a good one. Do you think that would work? it means the developers would need to know to use that FY field.

• 7. Re: Fiscal Year Overwritten When Data Refreshed
                      deborah.henry

I think this is a good solution, but I decided to make changes in the Alteryx workflow.  I did attempt the fix you provided, but it led to needing to make other changes in dimensions and I wanted to make sure there would be no errors.  The fix in Alteryx did the trick, but then again, the root cause is that when we change the default properties for fiscal year start, it should stay that way, right?