1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 29, 2018 11:38 AM by martijn.schreurs.0

Does saving Date fields without timestamp optimize the extracts?

Raj Kapoor

Hi,

I am working on data sets that are in a few millions of records being uploaded into Tableau desktop to create an extract.

The data set has certain date fields that have a timestamp. However, the timestamp is not being used for any analysis.

Would it be better for workbook performance to store these date fields without a timestamp, in the extract?

(of course, there is some work upfront to remove the timestamps before loading them into extract)

• 1. Re: Does saving Date fields without timestamp optimize the extracts?
          martijn.schreurs.0

Hi Raj,

A general rule when working with extracts is: "only extract the data you need". If you do not need the timestamps for your current (or future) analysis, I would remove them from the extract in order to cut size and thus improve performance.

The impact will be will depend on the number of date fields, their unique values and their detail (does it go down to milliseconds? nanoseconds?), so your mileage may vary.

I would say: give it a go and please let us know if you see a big impact on .tde size and any noticeable performance improvements