St. Michael’s Hospital is undergoing an exciting transformation into a data-driven healthcare organization. We are recruiting a Data Science Specialist with strong Tableau development skills to help clinical and business decision makers use their data to improve patient care.
The primary responsibility of the Data Science Specialist - Tableau will be to integrate, analyze and deliver data to end users by developing dashboards, reports and stories in Tableau. Additional responsibilities will include leading St. Michael’s Tableau community of practice, building capacity in Tableau Desktop among super users, and integration of Tableau with statistical tools, such as R or SAS.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Tableau Development
- Interfaces with business and clinical users to gather requirements for new dashboards and analyses.
- Build data sets within Tableau, including custom SQL where required.
- Develops dashboards, stories and reports using Tableau Desktop.
- Manages dashboard permissions in Tableau Server.
- Leads St. Michael’s Tableau community of practice by educating colleagues and by keeping abreast of Tableau updates and emerging best practices, and disseminating these to the organization.
2. Analytics, including:
- Produce high quality ad hoc and standard reports, using R or SAS procedures.
- Perform descriptive statistical analysis in R or SAS, including but not limited to: location, variability, z-scores, skewness, kurtosis, confidence intervals, coefficient of variation.
- Perform inferential statistical analysis in R or SAS, including statistical tests for significance, such as null-hypothesis testing, to validate results of analysis.
- Integrate R/SAS analysis with Tableau to deliver the results of statistical analysis within Tableau dashboards.
3. Data wrangling, including:
- Data cleaning and validation of raw data to ensure data is complete, accurate and of high quality prior to analysis.
- Manipulating, transforming, and combination of data from multiple data sources for use in analysis and reporting.
- Development of efficient programs, algorithms, or systems to reduce programming time of standardized analyses, dashboards and reports.
4. Data Validation and Quality Control, including:
- Validate any output tables, listings or figures generated to ensure accuracy and reliability of analyses.
- Conduct database logical checks to ensure the accuracy and completeness of data.
- Maintain high quality coding practices and documentation of coding.
- Efficiently identify and correct syntax and programming logic errors in SQL, Tableau, R and SAS code.
- An undergraduate degree in Math, Engineering, Computer Science and/or health related discipline.
- Master's degree an asset
- At least 5 years experience in data analysis and visualization
- At least 3 years experience working in Tableau Desktop
- Expert-level Tableau Desktop development skills
- Thorough knowledge of data visualization best practices
- Strong SQL programming skills
- Proficient in the use of statistical software such as R or SAS
- Experience in healthcare an asset
- Data management experience an asset
- Ability to understand and interpret complex analysis plans
- Work collaboratively with internal team members, external stakeholders, and consultants
- Strong analytical skills, technical acumen and demonstrated experience in data gathering, data analysis, conceptual and logical models and physical data design are required
- Ability to multi-task, work accurately and effectively under pressure, meet deadlines, and remain composed in high-pressure situations
- Excellent decision making and problem solving skills
- Superior organizational and time management skills to manage and prioritize workload
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge and interest in adult education an asset
Link to apply: Data Science Specialist - Tableau - St. Michael's Hospital