6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2018 10:43 AM by shoba Hari

Tableau server user's site role

shoba Hari

Hi There,

I have a request, what are the advantages and disadvantages of granting every user a Publisher site role.

We have decided to promote the site role "Publisher", as we can actually control their permissions at project level.

What kind of impact we can see if this is brought in place.

Our current authentication is "local"

Need your valuable suggestions.

Thanks,

Shoba

• 1. Re: Tableau server user's site role
          Toby Erkson

It really, really depends on how secure you need your reporting environment to be.  If you have a small reporting implementation with strong, specific permissioning and a non-changing (or rarely changing) user-base then I can't think of it being so bad.  However, if you have a lot of users (hundreds) and/or decent user turn-over then the permission maintenance would be a PITA -- the possible exception is if you went to Active Directory authentication and forced people to be assigned to an AD group AND you only used AD groups, not individual users, as your method for adding/removing Tableau Server users.

Do you have core-based or user-based licensing for your Tableau Server?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau server user's site role
            Donna Coles

Agree with Toby - the size of your user base is key.  Enabling Publisher for all if you have a large user base and local authentication is going to be laborious to manage.  We have core server licensing and integrate with the AD. We have approx 2000 users who have access to our Tableau Server and we do grant them all Publisher rights by default.  They have the rights to publish by default to one project on the server 'Adhoc'.  This is managed as their AD login is associated to an AD group at the point of creation, and we grant that group the permissions on the Adhoc project.  The AD is synced with the Tableau Server daily, so there is no maintenance required when new people start to get them access to the Server and for them to author via the web if they choose.  We have a subset of Desktop users (45 people) who have additional rights to publish into other folders, and that access is manually managed by me as server admin and isn't so onerous, as the access rarely changes for these users and the set of users doesn't change that often.

One downside to the approach in allowing all access to publish content with a large user base, is a lot of content can be created, some of which is redundant now and some of which is a duplication (or slightly modified duplication) of other content.  Having a good housekeeping routine is therefore something to think about.  We don't really have anything regular - I use various reports I've written to review when content was last accessed and periodically purge them.  Some people have attempted to automate this type of thing.

Hope that helps a bit more.

Donna

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tableau server user's site role
              shoba Hari

Its core based license, with large user base, around 10k users, we have project groups and no business groups are allowed.

Only 3 groups per project,

Project Leader

Publisher

Interactor

In a day we see around 1500 - 1800 active users.

Thanks,

Shoba

• 4. Re: Tableau server user's site role
                shoba Hari

Hi Donna,

When you say "periodically purge them". Could you let us know how you do, we see most of our extract keep growing and would like to purge them, if not at least our Admin reports to keep only required data.

Thanks,

Shoba

• 5. Re: Tableau server user's site role
                  Donna Coles

Hi Shobi

I think you've misunderstood - by content I'm referring to published workbooks (rather than data sources), and by 'periodically purge', I mean every so often I have a 'housekeeping' day where I use workbook usage reports I've written to target unused workbooks and then just delete them from the server.

The data sources that get published are more tightly controlled (limited users can publish the 'master' data sources) so rarely become obsolete to require deletion.

Donna

• 6. Re: Tableau server user's site role
                    shoba Hari

Thanks for the update.

Shoba