1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2018 10:55 PM by Jyothisree Rayagiri

Tableau Performing Bad with My Large Dateset. Taking more that 30 minutes or Crashes Sometime . Any suggestion how to handle my data !

Sudhir Kumar

Hi,

I have a table which used to have last 30 days data. For each day table used to have approx. 3 million record and total .So for a month approx. 90 million of records. User want each column to see in tabular format by giving filters of each column on top. There is filter criteria provided from and To date. So that user can see for any particular day or period data. I am using Tableau extract and Tableau version is 9.3. Now with this criteria where I have added all the columns in Rows pane to show all column and also I have added top N records scenario so that Initially my page can be loaded with some amount of data and then user can use desired filter.

Currently In first load page is taking more than 30 minutes and some time crashes.

My Top N logic and To & From Date are the only two things which are calculated scenario.

Logic : To & From Date : I have converted date to YYYYMMDD to number thinking that number search will be faster then the date search.

Top N Logic : I am using one calculated field with Index()

Then there is Boolean calculated field which calculated Index() >= 1 and <= Top N ( It a parameter)

To & From Date : Date search was also tried but result was same.

Please suggest how can I make it more efficient.

I can not share workbook due to confidentiality of the data.

• 1. Re: Tableau Performing Bad with My Large Dateset. Taking more that 30 minutes or Crashes Sometime . Any suggestion how to handle my data !
          Jyothisree Rayagiri

Try letting the user select the time period before bringing in the data

Create 2 parameters to select startdate and enddate and use them to bring only the data for that time period

Custom SQL will be something like Select <Columnnames> from <tablename> where Date >= Startdate and Date <= EndDate

If you are not showing full details for each record, then consider building an aggregate table with totals already calculated for the dimensions you need and connect to the data source instead of your complete data

You can build another sheet/dashboard with the details data.Have a live connection to your datasource

You can have the aggregate table as extract and use filters for selection.Show your summary views on the dashboard

Set up actions so that you show the details sheet only for the dimension or measure selected.

This way you can show only the records after all criteria has been applied.

//Jyothi