1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2018 5:58 AM by pavan mojala

Getting 'None' In Filter.

Harsha Reddy

Hi Friends,

I need your help to solve my error.

Actually i have one Dimension (Student Name) That Dimension i dragged into filter shelf and i make that filter into Quick filter.

In Quick filter I selected Single value drop down list. In the drop down list if i select some records it's showing "None" only. I don't no why its happened.

Please find the below picture.

I created parameter for the student name and i make it as filter that time its not showing any none value in that.

However that parameter not dynamic right if data refresh that time Extra student names will add. So in this case i need to use filter only but if i use filter i will get same error.

Can anyone help me on this how we can solve this error. Why we are getting None in that filter Box ?

Thanks,

Harsha.

• 1. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
          Marc-Anthony Di Biase

If you hit the arrow on the top right of your quick filter, is there an option under customize that says 'Show "None" Value'?

2018-01-24_13-28-56.png

• 2. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
            Deepak Rai

You might be having some other filter ON which is making Student filter to Show no data so it is Showing "None". Check your filters or post a workbook to help you.

Thanks

Deepak

• 3. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
              Jim Dehner

Hi

when you set up your student name filter  and placed it on the shelf make sure that it was not set "Select From List and then None

if you open the filter and it looks like that below select ALL

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
                Harsha Reddy

Hi Marc-Anthony Di Biase,

Thank you for your reply on my query. Here my problem is In filter (Student Name) Drop down i have 30 student names.

Ex : Student Name (Dimension)

SONY Tel+ 001 222 556, (USA)

NACY 

MONA (INdia)

David (UK , Tel 044-5689-5487)

Like that Im having 50 names in filter drop down list.. In that if select David its showing None in Filter box.This "None" Value i'm getting on Few of student names.

I need to show selection record in Filter box as well as in view.

Why we are getting "None" in filter box ?

Could you please help on this error.

Thanks,

Harsha.

• 5. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
                  pavan mojala

You said that you have selected "Single Value dropdown  list". How can you select morethan one record if you opted that option? It is showing none because nothing is selected. Try to use multiple value dropdown and select couple of records.

• 6. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
                    Harsha Reddy

Hi Jim Dehner,

Thank you for your reply on my query, I was selected All option only however i'm getting None in filter Box.

Please Find the below screenshot,attached .twbx and Sample Excel data File.

Filter Image.png

When i select Janny& Mathew In drop down list its Showing "None"

How we can solve that error.(Is it Problem in Data (Excel) ?)

Currently I'm Using Tableau 10.0 (Note: If i connect same data in Tableau 10.4 its Showing Value in Filter Box)

I hope you Understand my query.

Thanks,

Harsha.

• 7. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
                      Harsha Reddy

Hi pavan mojala,

Thank you for your reply, In Filter drop down i can't select more than one record. At a time ill select single record only.

Example : In filter(Student name)  Drop down i have A Name,B Name,C Name, D name.

If i select A name Its showing That name in Filter Box.

If i select C Name its not showing that name in filter box, it's showing "None".

Please check above mail which shared screenshot of my Filter error.

I don't no why I'm getting this None in filter.

Thanks,

Harsha.

• 8. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
                        Harsha Reddy

Hi Deepak Rai,

Thank you for your reply on my Query,

Actually i have a Student name Dimension in that I'm having number of student names,

That Student name Dimension dragged column shelf and filter shelf, I make it that Quick filter selected single value drop down list. In that if i select some of student names it's showing "None" in filter box.

Here i attached .twbx file and sample excel data file also.

Please check and kindly give needful solution.

Thanks,

Harsha.

• 9. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
                          Jim Dehner

Good morning

I looked at your book and the filter seems to be working as expected - if you select a name you see that single record - if you select ALL you see all the records

Jim

• 10. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
                            pavan mojala

Hi Harsha Reddy,

Thanks for updating the workbook. I have gone through it and seems like the length of the string in the filter is causing the issue. I don't know the exact reason as of now. I created alias for the names that are too long and it worked.

wb1.JPG

wb2.JPG

If you think this post resolved your problem. Please mark it as helpful/correct answer so that it will be helpful for other users who have the same problem.

Regards,

Pavan Mojala.

• 11. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
                              pavan mojala

The problem is with the data that is in excel. If you  can open the excel sheet you can see the strings which are very long are in two separate lines, edit them and keep them in a single line. Then you won't get none Harsha Reddy

wb2.JPG

wb1.JPG

If you think this post resolved your problem. Please mark it as helpful/correct answer so that it will be helpful for other users who have the same problem.

Regards,

Pavan Mojala.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
                                Harsha Reddy

Hi Jim Dehner,

Thank your very much for your reply, If you open my workbook in Tableau 10.4 it won't get 'None' in filter box.

Here I'm using Tableau version 10.0.

Please try to open my workbook in Tableau 10.0 (or) 10.1 version then will get 'None' in filter box.

Thanks,

Harsha.

• 13. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
                                  Harsha Reddy

Hi pavan mojala,

Thank you very much for your reply,yeah i agree, the problem is in Data only. But same excel (Data) which i shared in forum if i open that Excel in Tableau 10.4 we will not get 'None' in filter Box.

Here I'm using Tableau 10.0 version  without changing the original data how we can solve this 'None' error.

Thanks,

Harsha.

• 14. Re: Getting 'None' In Filter.
                                    pavan mojala

There will be changes in the XML file as the version advances. That might be one of the reason. For example there is a bug in 10.3.1 with filters but it got resolved in the later version. It is always suggested that you use the most updated version.

1 2 Previous Next