1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2018 9:51 AM by Ayoub Briki

Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users

Elena Karavaeva

Hi everyone,

we have recently added trusted authentication to our Tableau Server 10.4. The Idea was to place some views from Tableau Server to our internal website where all our users (not only Tableau Server users) will be able to see dashboards and interact with them.

But after adding trusted hosts and gateways of our website and disabling automatic logon we faced a problem:

When user has no saved credentials for tableau server page in browser he/she sees an endlessly loading view on our internal website.

In the mean time licensed users with saved passwords in browser can see the view properly.

Please tell me, why is it happening and what we forgot to do or have done wrong?

• 1. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
          Jeff Strauss

Are all users defined within your Tableau Server?  And do they all have access to the view that is embedded within your internal website?  When you use trusted authentication, the user still needs to be defined in your Tableau Server deployment.  See this link:  Trusted Authentication  

• 2. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
            Elena Karavaeva

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the fast reply.

I thought that user is defined by default from website's query to the server with:

This is user with license. Thus when Tableau Server gets a query it creates a ticket for this default user and all website members can see the view. Is it not about Trusted Authentication? Are you saying that users can have access to the view only when they have their own login and password to the server?

• 3. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
              Toby Erkson

Just so we're clear, please tell us the licensing method for your Tableau Server:  Is it core-based or user-licensed based?

• 4. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
                Elena Karavaeva

Toby, the licensing method is user-based, does it matter in my task?

• 5. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
                  Krunal Patel

Hello,

I believe you need Enterprise core license for this task.

You are using License based Tableau License so it may not work for users who are not in Tableau Server.

You may want to open a support case with Tableau and find out if they've any alternatives.

If dashboard doesn't have confidential data, you can publish it on Tableau public and embed that into your webpage.

Thank you,

Krunal

• 6. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
                    Toby Erkson

Elena Karavaeva wrote:

Hi everyone,

we have recently added trusted authentication to our Tableau Server 10.4. The Idea was to place some views from Tableau Server to our internal website where all our users (not only Tableau Server users) will be able to see dashboards and interact with them...

By the sound of this, you would want Guest access allowed but that cannot be if using user-based licensing.  To have Guest access you must have core-based licensing.

• 7. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
                      Toby Erkson

Elena Karavaeva wrote:

1)  This is user with license. Thus when Tableau Server gets a query it creates a ticket for this default user and all website members can see the view.

1a)  Is it not about Trusted Authentication?

2)  Are you saying that users can have access to the view only when they have their own login and password to the server?

1)  This doesn't sound correct.  You need to go into detail and ALSO explain what you mean by "all website members".

1a)  Not sure if this is another [separate] question or clarification regarding question #1.

2)  Correct.

Are you trying to execute a script (like a java script or custom html page) or application?

• 8. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
                        Elena Karavaeva

Toby,

We need our colleagues (who does not have an access to Tableau Server) to be able to see several Tableau reports, which we added on our corporate website.

I opened a support case where they told me the only way to solve the problem is to buy a very expensive core-based license. But it doesn't worth it, because those colleagues don't even need to know about Tableau Server or to go to there - they just need to see few reports on corporate, internal website.

So I am just wondering is it really all we can do?

• 9. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
                          Toby Erkson

Unfortunately Tableau Support is correct.  I' guessing the Tableau reports that are on the corporate web site are fed from the Tableau Server.  If that's the case then it doesn't matter if the external colleagues know about the Tableau Server as they are still "going there", just not directly

If the reports on the corp. web site are static (no user interactions like filters, parameters, worksheet actions, etc.) then it's possible they could be the image of the report, like if the report was exported as an image.  If this is the case then:

1. It's a terrible method of displaying reports!
                          2. Outside colleagues would be able to view the image of the report but they would need access to the page from the outside which is NOT a Tableau issue but a corp. network/proxy/firewall issue.

If the external colleagues need the reports then email them the packaged workbook (.twbx).  They can use the free Tableau Reader to view & interact with them.

• 10. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
                            Elena Karavaeva

Toby, you a right: reports are from Tableau Server and yes, they are dynamic.

By the way, am I understood correct that we can't even get an image of the report from Tableau Server and show it on our website to users without an access to Tableau Server? (this article)

Thank you for the idea about Tableau Reader. It will be a good solution if it would be possible to make a subscription to the tbwx file from Tableau Server: thus, it would come to my email on schedule and email will automatically forward this letter to other people. Do you know other ways of doing it automatically without downloading the refreshed report from server and creating a letter with it by myself ?

• 11. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
                              Toby Erkson

Elena Karavaeva wrote:

Toby, you a right: reports are from Tableau Server and yes, they are dynamic.

By the way, am I understood correct that we can't even get an image of the report from Tableau Server and show it on our website to users without an access to Tableau Server? (this article)

Correct

Thank you for the idea about Tableau Reader. It will be a good solution if it would be possible to make a subscription to the tbwx file from Tableau Server: thus, it would come to my email on schedule and email will automatically forward this letter to other people. Do you know other ways of doing it automatically without downloading the refreshed report from server and creating a letter with it by myself ?

You can't get a .twbx emailed to you from the Tableau Server by using a subscription.

There is an alternative which is VizAlerts .  It cannot send workbooks but it can send the workbook as a .csv, .pdf, or .png (image).  It's not supported by Tableau but, as you can see, it does have unofficial support here in the Tableau forums.  This will take a little more work but I use it and love it.  In its basic form it's like Data Alerts in the current version of Tableau Server.  However, using its advanced features simply leaves the Data Alert in the dust as it's much more feature-packed!  I have some users who take advantage of it, emailing a worksheet image with an embedded link directly to internal sales people when certain conditions are met.  If you wish to use VizAlerts then please go to the forum, read the documentation from the links given there, and ask questions there.  It will require you to do some testing to figure it out and that's included in the documentation.

Finally, you can create your own custom solution using a scripting language, like Python or Windows Powershell or Windows batch script, or from a software vendor.  Please note that doing so is against Tableau's EULA

automated export email workbook

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
                                Matt Coles

Thanks for the VizAlerts shout-out, Toby!

One thing I do want to mention is that programmatically sending out .twbx files for Tableau Reader users to consume is a violation of the Reader EULA. If you send users the .twbx files manually, then it is allowed. But you aren't technically allowed to automate that process. They would need full Desktop licenses for that. Automating the export and viewing of static content such as PNG, CSV, PDF, is fine, however. It's a good idea to talk to your account manager to bring your needs to their attention so that they can figure out the best way for you to solve your problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
                                  Toby Erkson

Dang!  Yes, thank you Matt for the reminder, I totally forgot about that odd regulation

I'll edit my post.

• 14. Re: Trusted Authentication for unlicensed users
                                    Elena Karavaeva

Toby, thank you for your help

We will talk to our account manager and try to figure out the best options.

1 2 Previous Next