6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2018 5:50 AM by anoosha shetty

Create a new dimension

anoosha shetty

Hi All ,

I have use case

where I have to display something like below in rows :

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 2.35.44 PM.png

So in my dataset , there is a column called "New_existing" , which has 3 values "NEW","Existing","Missing"

And in the above screenshot "Total " is the combination of "NEW","Existing","Missing"

And "TOTAL (Ex. Missing) " is the combination of "NEW","Existing"

I have found that we can "create groups" in  tableau , so I managed to create 2 groups( TOTAL (Ex. Missing)  ,Total )  based out of column "New_existing"

So now my question is there any way I can have a column called "TYPE" which would show me values just as shown in the above picture ?

• 1. Re: Create a new dimension
          Norbert Maijoor

Hi Anoosha,

Find my approach based on UNION as reference below and stored in attached workbook version 10.3 located in the original thread.

1. Define a Union with 3 sheets

1. D1. Type:

if [Table Name]="Sheet1" and [New_existing]="NEW" then "NEW"

elseif [Table Name]="Sheet1" and [New_existing]="Existing" then "EXISTING"

elseif [Table Name]="Sheet1" and [New_existing]="Missing" then "MISSING"

elseif [Table Name]="Sheet1$" and ([New_existing]="Missing" or [New_existing]="Existing" or [New_existing]="NEW") then "TOTAL"

elseif [Table Name]="Sheet11" and ([New_existing]="Existing" or [New_existing]="NEW") then "TOTAL (ex. MISSING)"

END

2. Drag the required objects to the indicated locations and exclude "Null" D1. Type

Regards,

Norbert

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Create a new dimension
            anoosha shetty

Hi Norbert ,

Sorry I am very new to tableau world , and I am using the version. 10.2 ,hence could not open the file you have attached .

I want to mention that  in the above question "New_existing " column which I have mentioned is in from the  single excel sheet (say called "raw data")  , I have pulled it in the datasource field.

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 12.28.27 PM.png

I have 2 questions :

1. Are you asking me to do the union of same "Raw data" sheet again ?

2 .

In the above query you have attached :

if [Table Name]="Sheet1" and [New_existing]="NEW" then "NEW"

elseif [Table Name]="Sheet1" and [New_existing]="Existing" then "EXISTING"

elseif [Table Name]="Sheet1" and [New_existing]="Missing" then "MISSING"

elseif [Table Name]="Sheet1$" and ([New_existing]="Missing" or [New_existing]="Existing" or [New_existing]="NEW") then "TOTAL"

elseif [Table Name]="Sheet11" and ([New_existing]="Existing" or [New_existing]="NEW") then "TOTAL (ex. MISSING)"

END

Can you explain me what is [Table Name] ? and what is Sheet1 , Sheet1$ , and Sheet11 ? in my  reference .

This  will be  really helpful

Thanks,

Anoosha

• 3. Re: Create a new dimension
              Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Anoosha

Please see the explain below

and the online help link for your reference.

Union Your Data

Hope this helps.

ZZ

• 4. Re: Create a new dimension
                anoosha shetty

Hi ZZ ,

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation .This worked like magic  .

Happy to learn new stuff everyday like this .

Norbert Maijoor -- thank you so much for the direction you have given .

Thanks all

Regards ,

Anoosha

• 5. Re: Create a new dimension
                  Norbert Maijoor

Hi Anoosha,

You are welcome. Keep them coming if you have any challenge on you journey in the land of Tableau.

Regards,

Norbert

• 6. Re: Create a new dimension
                    anoosha shetty

Hi Norbert ,

Regarding this new dimmesion we have created  , which we called "TYPE" now has values new, existing,missing,total and Toal(ex missing)

After learning this I have created one more dimension in the similar fashion called it  "  TYPE(DOM/INTL)  "    with values "Domestic" ,"International" and "Total"  in it .

Now I want to have a view  like below : -

Untitled.png

So I created 2 new dimension  one as TYPE(DOM/INTL) , and  TYPE(new/existing)

But when I get both of these dimensions in ROWS like below : I can only see "TOTAL" for "international " and rest of the value (new , existing ,missing,total(Ex.missing) DOES NOT even show up .

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 3.12.02 PM.png

Is there any restriction in tableau, to use dimensions like this way ?

How do I get to display all the values of TYPE(new/existing)  against TYPE(DOM/INTL)

Thanks,

Anoosha