2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2018 7:03 AM by Brendon Troy

"Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" when trying to create geographic role

Brendon Troy

Hi,

I have a data source that is an Excel workbook. One column contains five-digit U.S. ZIP codes (and nulls), and another column contains corresponding Regions (9 in total). When trying to give the Region field a geographic role, from the ZIP field, I get this error ("Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source.")

I'm on Tableau Desktop 10.4.2, and the source workbook is an .xlsx saved in Excel for Mac 16.9, if any of that matters.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance if you have.

• 1. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" when trying to create geographic role
          brad.earle.1

Would you share a small sample of your Excel workbook?  Combining it with Superstore sales as an example workbook will provide information not readily present through your question.

• 2. Re: "Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source" when trying to create geographic role
            Brendon Troy

Thanks very much for the reply, Brad! I appreciate your willingness to help.

Your reply did actually resolve the issue for me, believe it or not, though it didn't do it in a way that will help others who may have this specific issue in the future. In editing my dataset to remove personally identifying and proprietary data (to be able to share it), I found that the issue "went away". My original workbook still was experiencing it, but when I started "from scratch" (same data, but new Tableau workbook), I was able to accomplish the territory creation / geographic data definition I was trying to do in the first place.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to recreate everything I'd done with the workbook to recreate the issue and isolate the problem, so I'm going to just call this "solved" for now and wait to delve deeper until it happens again. Kicking the can down the road in the name of pragmatism, I'm afraid ...

Thanks again, so much, for your reply and offer to help. I really appreciate it. Cheers!