4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2018 9:36 AM by parul bansal

Refresh Extract on Server that uses Stored Procedure

mark.welsh

I've got a report on Server with an extract generated from a Sql Server stored procedure that uses parameters.  How can I change the parameter which is visible on the view and then refresh the extract to reference the new parameter(s)? 

• 1. Re: Refresh Extract on Server that uses Stored Procedure

Hi Mark,

Are you able to download that Report and change the parameter directly within the latter?

Re-host the Report on Server, then, and you should be all good... but something tells me your issue is more complex. Could you please detail it a bit more?

----------

Lénaïc RIÉDINGER, Global Community Engineer Tableau

Tableau Community Forums | Knowledge Base

If you see a Helpful or Correct response, please mark it thanks to the buttons below the targeted post!

• 2. Re: Refresh Extract on Server that uses Stored Procedure
            parul bansal

Mark, I would rather suggest you to extract whole data source rather than sending request to your database for every query.

to do this, extract all data from sql views and add context filters or tableau parameters to process your request

• 3. Re: Refresh Extract on Server that uses Stored Procedure
              mark.welsh

I've learned a little bit more about stored procs and Tableau since I posted this.  As far as I know Tableau will only requery the database if the parameter is changed.  So any other filter actions will not cause a requery.  In this case I don't really see the difference in using Live vs. Extract for a stored proc.  I think my logic was to use an extract to avoid re-processing the data with different filter selections or whatever else. 

In my case there is only one parameter that can be changed.  But on Server with a live connection to the stored proc, I change the parameter and the view hangs up.  Eventually erroring out with an error I apparently didn't document.  It takes about 5 minutes to refresh on Desktop and works fine.  If instead of live I choose extract, I change the parameter on Server and nothing happens. 

I may end up adopting the suggestion from Parul above and extract a large amount of data at once and give the user the option to filter.  However, I'm not sure that I can do that unless I extract the entire data set which is too costly. 

Either way, I still would like to know how to run an extracted stored procedure on Tableau Server.  Change the parameter and then what is the next step?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Refresh Extract on Server that uses Stored Procedure
                parul bansal

extract main dashboard data source (*for performance) keep the rest as how you want.