5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2018 4:22 PM by Peter Fakan

Dynamic Dashboard Sizing

Katherine Schneeman

I've created about 10 templates that are used to create client specific reports, the amount of information being displayed using these templates vary based on client. Currently the dashboard sizing of these reports are set to a fixed size, which is causing formatting issues when too much or too little information is being displayed. The only solution that I've found for this is to create client specific reports, however, with an increase in amount of clients we are signing on for our product I need a solution that provides dynamic the sizing of these reports.

Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advanced!

• 1. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Sizing
          Peter Fakan

Hi Katherine,

When Tableau workbooks are published to server, the dashboards and worksheets within the workbook will appear to rescale to the size of the largest element. This is a feature, not a bug. This ensures that the tabs are viewed properly when nested inside web pages.

The only method I am aware of to get around this situation is to publish the differently sized material separately. If a user is already authenticated there won't be any blockers to the user experience, you just have to get crafty with your html.

HTH

Peter

• 2. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Sizing
            Katherine Schneeman

Hmm that makes sense, I think I've inadvertently addressed that issue by posting to server as a fixed size.

Do you know if its possible to have only the length of the dashboard dynamically size based on the amount of content?

A lot of our clients print the reports so I always want to have the width of the dashboard set to fit the width of a standard 8.5 X 11 page. However, since the amount of content can change I want the dashboard to autosize and be shorter or longer to better display the amount of content.

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Sizing
              Peter Fakan

Hi Katherine, your viz will still default to the maximum length, but for printing it sounds like this will be optimal for your purposes (smaller viz will just consume less of the printable area). Obviously, this counts on your not minding redundant whitespace between your viz and any web content below your viz.

HTH

Peter

• 4. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Sizing
                Katherine Schneeman

Hi Peter,

Is there something I have to change in the HTML for this to occur? Currently all of my worksheets are placed in containers and set to fit "Entire View". If I change to "Fit Width" then the scrolling bar is appearing and not all of the content is displayed.

Thanks!

Katherine

• 5. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Sizing
                  Peter Fakan

Hi Katherine,

This depends on if you are nesting the viz inside an iframe or just hardcoding it into your html. If you are going down the iframe path, then you may also be impacted by your content management system software as well.

You might also be able to edit the embed code (bolded).

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://our-tableau-server/javascripts/api/viz_v1.js'></script><div class='tableauPlaceholder' style='width: 1000px; height: 827px;'><object class='tableauViz' width='1000' height='827' style='display:none;'><param name='host_url' value='http%3A%2F%2Four-tableau-server%2F' /> <param name='embed_code_version' value='2' /> <param name='site_root' value='' /><param name='name' value='HS&#47;Clients_1' /><param name='tabs' value='no' /><param name='toolbar' value='yes' /><param name='showAppBanner' value='false' /><param name='showShareOptions' value='true' /></object></div>

Its probably going to be a bit of trial and error until you work out which configuration works best inside your enterprise setup.

HTH

Peter