7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2018 8:36 AM by Kumar Guntupalli

Worker is not Working and Throwing an error

Kumar Guntupalli

Tableau  Admin Gurus, I had installed Cognos Primary server and is successful. I am able to login to the server portal. I Installed Tableau worker node on another server and when about to configure the worker node, I am getting the error that " Worker <worker name> is not responding

Confirm that the workers are installed, running, and configured with the computer name or all IPv4 addresses belonging to the primary Tableau Server"

Both servers are communicating with each other when I did the ping test. Please let me know If I missed any thing.

• 1. Re: Worker is not Working and Throwing an error
          Toby Erkson

Cognos cannot communicate directly with Tableau. Two very different applications.

You need to install Tableau Server Primary Networked Server (1) on your primary server and the Worker Networked Server software (2) on your worker server;

When asking questions you need to provide more details, like version, hardware specs, screen shots (config program), etc.

• 2. Re: Worker is not Working and Throwing an error
            Kumar Guntupalli

Sorry, Toby for the Late Reply. I am the part of Tableau 10.5 Beta Testing, I got the license for the Tableau Server and Worker node as part of testing the software with the license key.

Let me explain my Scenario.

1. We have 2 Servers windows 2008 R2 and they are in the same domain as suggested by Tableau user Guides and both are communicating with each other when I did the ping test.

2. I installed Tableau Primary Server on server1 and is successful. I am able to get into the Tableau with the URL

3. I installed Worker Node on Server 2 and while installing It asks for the Primary server (I mentioned IPV4 address of the server1 where primary server software Is Installed). It is success full.

4. When Configuring the Worker Node, It is throwing an error, Worker " IP Address" is not responding.

The Windows Firewall on the Worker Node is turned off

• 3. Re: Worker is not Working and Throwing an error
              Toby Erkson

Instead of manually Adding the Tableau worker server did you try using the "Discover" button?

Also,to err on the side of caution, before discovering the worker set the "Preferred Active Repository" to "This Computer (Primary)":

• 4. Re: Worker is not Working and Throwing an error
                Kumar Guntupalli

I tried the way you suggested and it is throwing me the error
                No New Servers Discovered

I tried uninstalling the worker node and reinstalled mentioning the Full Computer name of the primary server.In both cases, I'm getting the same errors. Please let me know If I am doing anything wrong.

• 5. Re: Worker is not Working and Throwing an error
                  Toby Erkson

Right now my experience with multi-node environments is weak so I recommend opening a case with Tableau Support.  Please let us know the outcome.

• 6. Re: Worker is not Working and Throwing an error
                    Jeff Strauss

Here is what I do.  Maybe it will help you.

- Prior to installing the worker, I stop the primary (tabadmin stop), then install the worker, then restart the primary.

- The discover button has never worked for me, I'm not sure why.  So typically I manually add via the add... button.

- can you ping the worker ip from a command prompt on the primary?  You should be able to.

- If nothing pans out, then have a look at tabadmin.log on the worker

- See if there are any queued task scheduler jobs on the worker and if they are queued, try manually releasing them.  I had to do this in one of the prior releases, but don't expect this to really be a problem with 10.5

- Does the worker have admin rights for the runas account?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Worker is not Working and Throwing an error
                      Kumar Guntupalli

Hi Jeff,  Good Morning,

Both Servers (Primary server and Worker Node server ) are communicating with each other when I did a Ping test. The firewall on both machines is turned off. I suspected that there might be an issue with ports and asked to open the ports on both servers to be bi-directional. I tried to add the worker node to primary and is successful.

I found out that the ports that are suggested by Tableau need to open on both servers to be bidirectional.

Thank you, Jeff and Toby, for following up my issue.

1 of 1 people found this helpful