1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 13, 2017 12:35 PM by syama tunuguntla

the month function not available on non-aggregate data source- odbc on spark

syama tunuguntla

HI

i have a field YYYY-MM-DD data type and i need the functionality of trending like showing data by quarters/months etc. so just used DATE function to convert it date field and tableau recognized the new field as well but still it does not show quarters/months once i use the drop down on the new field.

i get this error message- the function not available on non-aggregate data source . the aggregate could be any thing ex:month(datefield)

Thanks in advance

ST

• 1. Re: the month function not available on non-aggregate data source- odbc on spark
          syama tunuguntla

well it looks like there is a support issue for a lot of date aggregate function in Databricks/spark with Hadoop Parquet table format.

so the fix/hack that worked are

1. use extract not live connection

2. it makes sense to have a live connection if you are using the spark environment. so the fix was extract years, months and write a formula to calculate quarters and use them. working good how i wanted.

a 3rd option is have separate fields in db itself like quarters.

my fix for now is use option 2. when db fields are created then use them.

thanks

st