2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2017 2:40 PM by Joe Oppelt

How can I use filters in calculations?

bret van

This is a really simplified version of what I'm trying to achieve.

I'd like to be able to create multiple filters on the same data to get different views and display them all together.

As an example here I'd just like the Thursday orange bar to disappear when Thursday is unchecked in Filter 1 (copy), instead all Thursday disappears.

I'm not sure if I need to create a copy of the data set and blend it, or join tables.... any help appreciated.

tab 1.pngtab 2.png

• 1. Re: How can I use filters in calculations?
          Joe Oppelt

Filters take rows out of the underlying table.  That's why your whole Thursday goes away.

And filters work across all dimensions, so whatever it does to one measure, it will do it to all measures.

I think you're going to have to identify the day to eliminate some other way.  Probably with parameter(s).

Question:  are you going to chop out only one day, or does your expected design allow the user to eliminate multiple days?

The problem with parameters (as they are currently designed) is that they are always single-select animals.  You can't set up a parameter that would allow you to select (or chop out) 2 or 3 values.

• 2. Re: How can I use filters in calculations?
            Joe Oppelt

Assuming you need to mess with multiple days, I hacked together the attached.

Seven params.  Each configured as sliders.  Each has two values (Y/N).  I sized them so that they only have working arrows.  Now with one click the user can turn on/off individual days.

Then I modified [Variable (Filter 1) (copy)] to react to the values of the params.

Of course, you would neaten up the presentation of those filters.  I have a dashboard like that.  Here is how I presented it:

(Users can turn on/off different lines on a chart.)

In your workbook now you can turn individual measures on/off by day.

1 of 1 people found this helpful