1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2017 5:25 PM by Chris McClellan

Tableau Desktop to SQLExpress on AWS

Ashish Tergaonkar

Hello All,

I am trying to connect to SQLExpress hosted on an AWS instance from Tableau Desktop installed on my local machine.

I am not sure what should be the 'Server'.

Should do it be the IP address of the AWS instance by which I connect to the AWS instance through my RDP? Or should it be the server name which I enter while connecting to the SQLExpress through management studio?

I am getting following error irrespective of whatever I try. Is there any specific port which I should specifically check (like 1433)?

[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53].

[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Login timeout expired

[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.

Unable to connect to the server "abc-srv-aws45.xxx.COM". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.