5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2017 12:59 PM by lisa.brisenoalaimo

Tracking different KPIs

lisa.brisenoalaimo

Hi,

I have 8 KPIs I track. Not all KPIs are weighted/scored the same (i.e., some by % some by #).

I need to create a Dashboard that shows all teams that have missed the KPIs week-on-week.

Today, each KPI is tracked on a separate spreadsheet. Historical data for teams is missing, but we will track moving forward.

I am assuming I'll need to gather the data each week and consolidate somehow into one sheet. I just don't know how that sheet should be configured for Tableau to give me a good view.

Right now, I have a sheet with 8 tabs (the 8 KPIs) and Team and Date columns. Not sure Tableau likes spreadsheets like this or I have no idea how to work with multi-tab spreadsheet in Tableau.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lisa

• 1. Re: Tracking different KPIs
          Jim Dehner

Hi

Would like to help more but I would have to see your TWBX workbook with data for that

that said have you looked at Pages - see the link

Pages Shelf

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Tracking different KPIs
            Chris McClellan

Lisa Briseno Alaimo wrote:

I am assuming I'll need to gather the data each week and consolidate somehow into one sheet. I just don't know how that sheet should be configured for Tableau to give me a good view.

You don't need to consolidate, you can blend the data in Tableaau if you want/need to.

Right now, I have a sheet with 8 tabs (the 8 KPIs) and Team and Date columns. Not sure Tableau likes spreadsheets like this or I have no idea how to work with multi-tab spreadsheet in Tableau.

That should work   Having all the data in a columnar fashion is better for Tableau

• 3. Re: Tracking different KPIs
              lisa.brisenoalaimo

Hi,

That's helpful.

I'll have to bone up on blending.

I was wondering if tableau was able to pull data from other tableau workbooks and create a snapshot of that data in another workbook?

Thanks again.

Lisa

• 4. Re: Tracking different KPIs
                Chris McClellan

A workbook can't read from another workbook, but you should be able to connect to the real datasource in a second workbook and do it that way

Really, a workbook doesn't store data at all.  A packaged workbook does, but the data had to come from somewhere else to begin with

• 5. Re: Tracking different KPIs
                  lisa.brisenoalaimo

Thanks, I'm packaging week on week to preserve the data views.

I'll try to work with those.

Thank you all for your help.

Multiple heads are better than one, often.