The Institute for Transportation Research and Education (ITRE) at NC State University has an opening for a full time data visualization developer. The purpose is to assist sponsored program clients (the North Carolina Highway Patrol and the Governor’s Highway Safety Program) to improve traffic safety planning using data analytics, research, and analysis.
The candidate will develop data visualizations for analyzing traffic crash and enforcement data to help improve traffic safety planning and enforcement effectiveness. Day-to-day activities include working closely with ITRE staff to collect and manipulate spatial and tabular data, and build data visualizations and web-based visual analytics tools that provide insightful and actionable content for improving traffic safety planning.
Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, GIS, Informatics, or a related field. If Bachelor’s degree, must have at least three years of relevant experience.
Degrees must be received from accredited institutions.
Departmental Required Skills
- Basic knowledge of Tableau or similar software
- Data visualization and data management
- Solid communication skills for effectively working with clients and peers to include
the ability to effectively communicate visualization products to a variety of audiences, both verbally and with digital presentation tools.
- Technical skills necessary to create data visualizations, manipulate data from various sources, understand data relationships, and publish web-based analytics for client consumption.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
• Demonstrated experience with Tableau
• Data visualization development experience
• Basic experience with statistical packages (R, SAS, SPSS)
• Basic understanding of GIS
• Self-starter, inquisitive, and exhibits enthusiasm to learn and grow professionally
• Ability to adapt to changing conditions, explore and learn new technologies, and apply to work
• Excellent communication and presentation skills necessary for client interaction
• Ability to discover and implement solutions that translate questions into meaningful answers
Salary Range: $52-58k / year