2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2017 7:12 PM by simone magagnini

User Permission on Landing Page / Table of Content

simone magagnini

Hello everyone!

This is my scenario:

I created 1 navigation page in tableau and published it to the server where all my users can access over 20 dashboards... it is like a table of content .. they have access to this page, know which reports are available and by clicking on it they can access different dashboards.

Now, I have to create different permission to some users, such as managers, directors, admin assistants, etc...due to sensitive data, admin assistants for example cannot access HR information.

However.... when I create the permission based on users (which works fine) the admin assistants for example cannot see the HR links in the navigation page, they disappear...they only see what they have permission to see.

But my manager wants the links still to be shown and add a message when you hover the mouse on the links you don't have access .... something like: "you do not have access to this report, please contact Tableau Team, etc for info" .... (I attached something similar to what she wants me to do).

Is this something you guys can help me with?

Thanks heaps in advance!!!

Kind regards

Simone

• 1. Re: User Permission on Landing Page / Table of Content
          Esther Aller

Hi Simone,

The actual calculation you use will depend greatly on how the data is structured and how the view is built. However, if you currently have a user filter then a possible solution would be to remove the user filter calculation from the Filters shelf, and instead use that user filter inside of another calculation to use on the tooltip. A calculation may look like:

IF [Existing User Filter]

THEN ""

ELSE "You do not have access to this view, please contact..."

END

Getting help on workbooks with user filters can be tricky, as it is much easier to help when looking at the workbook itself but we will not be able to log into your instance of Tableau Server to test the user filters. However, if you replace the user function (such as USERNAME() or ISMEMBEROF()) with a parameter, then it may still be possible to share the workbook to get additional help.

• 2. Re: User Permission on Landing Page / Table of Content
            simone magagnini

Thank you Esther!!

I ended up finding my way out just couple of hours ago .... and it seems to be working fine (see below)..

Tested with different user groups... all ok so far.

Thank you for your time answering my question!!!

Really appreciate it!

My calculations:

Permission:

IF (STR(ISMEMBEROF('group a'))=STR(TRUE))

and [Linkname1 (ReportLinksTEST)]='Workforce and Leave Balance'
            THEN
                [URLLink]
            END

Permission Message:

IF (STR(ISMEMBEROF('group a'))=STR(TRUE))

and [Linkname1 (ReportLinksTEST)] = ('Workforce and Leave Balance')
            THEN '  '

ELSEIF
            (STR(ISMEMBEROF('group a'))=STR(FALSE))
                and [Linkname1 (ReportLinksTEST)] = ('Workforce and Leave Balance')

THEN
                'You do not have permission to access this report'

END

Kind regards

Simone