3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2017 8:36 AM by Toby Erkson

    Caching of live connections.

    Lucas Brito

      My tableau server instance is configured for it to refresh less often on caching. My question is, if a user opens his workbook on the server and manually refreshes by hitting the refresh now button, would the next time he opens the workbook, the data be updated or does he need to continue refreshing it until tableau caches new data?

       

      For instance, my data was refreshed at 1:00pm.

      User opens workbook at 2:00pm, but last refreshed still shows 1:00pm.

      He manually hits refresh and workbook now shows last refreshed at 2:00pm.

      He opens the workbook again at 3:00pm, would the server then say last refreshed at 1:00pm or 2:00pm since that was when he hit the refresh button?

        • 1. Re: Caching of live connections.
          Toby Erkson

          Cache is cache regardless of where the data comes from so the server would say it was last refreshed at 2PM and it would stay there for 12 hours (default time, it can be changed via tabadmin and Configure Tableau Server) unless refreshed again.

          • 2. Re: Caching of live connections.
            Lucas Brito

            Hi Toby,

             

            When you say it could be changed via tabadmin and configure tableau server, do you mean changing the caching option from 'Refresh less often' to balanced or refresh often? Are there other commands outside of this that I would need to change as well? My fear is that this is a need for one individual user, and changing the setting for the entire server could end up impacting the enterprise as a whole.

             

            Thanks

            • 3. Re: Caching of live connections.
              Toby Erkson

              Lucas Brito wrote:

               

              Hi Toby,

               

              When you say it could be changed via tabadmin and configure tableau server, do you mean changing the caching option from 'Refresh less often' to balanced or refresh often?

              Yes.  Don't forget about Balanced where you set the time to keep the cache

              Lucas Brito wrote:

              Are there other commands outside of this that I would need to change as well?

              Yes, at the server level only, by using tabadmin set.

              Lucas Brito wrote:

              My fear is that this is a need for one individual user, and changing the setting for the entire server could end up impacting the enterprise as a whole.

              Whoa, you didn't state that in your question!  You can't do this for an individual.  Cache changes will affect the entire Server.  You cannot customize caching to a more granular level.