7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2017 6:20 AM by Donna Coles

Cannot Publish to a specific site using Publisher Permissions

Crystal D'souza

Hi All,

We have a situation which came up recently on a specific site on our Tableau Server Environment. Any user given the publisher permission has been unable to publish the workbook on that site. The pop up asking for the project and name of the file to publish does not appear on their Tableau Desktop, instead, the users receive a message "Internal error ,the operation could not be completed." (something along those lines.) when clicking on "publish workbook".

The permissions for the users have not been modified in any way recently.

The users are able to sign-in to the Tableau site successfully and the issue only appears when attempting to publish a workbook.

The following permissions have been given to the users on the projects within the site

• Publisher on Projects
      • Editor on Workbooks
      • Editor on Datasources

The same users have been able to successfully publish in the past on the same site and are also able to now publish on other sites as well with the exact same permissions.

We tried to check if the issues persists when we log on to the tableau server and try to publish using localhost and port number. This works perfectly fine and the same users are able to publish to the site from our server.

We also tested to see if the issue is specific to a user already part of the site. For this, we received mixed results. We added two new users to the site and checked to see if they receive the error or are able to publish. One user seems to be able to publish with the same permissions, while the other user gets an error.

A user with a site admin role can however successfully publish to the server. The Tableau desktop version being used is mostly 10.2

There has not been any configuration changes recently on the server. The issue has only surfaced in the last couple of days.

Any help or pointers to resolve this issue is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Cannot Publish to a specific site using Publisher Permissions
          Donna Coles

Hi Crystal

All users needing to publish to the server will also need the publisher site role assigned to them as well as the explicit publish permission assigned to the projects you want them to publish to.

I'm guessing this is probably already set since you said they've been able to do this before, but definitely worth double checking as something to rule out since you don't mention that above.

Donna

• 2. Re: Cannot Publish to a specific site using Publisher Permissions
            Crystal D'souza

Hi Donna,

Yes, They do have a publisher site role and as I've mentioned in the post, we also double checked their permissions assigned to the projects as well and have played around with the permissions and pretty much given them full access.

The following permissions have been given to the users on the projects within the site

• Publisher on Projects
            • Editor on Workbooks
            • Editor on Datasources
            • 3. Re: Cannot Publish to a specific site using Publisher Permissions
              Donna Coles

Hi Crystal

Thanks for checking - I figured it was probably set but always worth double checking.  I'm not able to offer any other ideas, but suggest you do add a bit more info about your server set up, as that may help others help you to troubleshoot the issue, such as

1) version of Tableau Server being used

2) version of Tableau Desktop being used

- you say v10.2 is being 'mostly' used, but are those who are successful actually using a different version to those who aren't perhaps?

- can you clarify the revision version of 10.2 ie is it 10.2.1 or 10.2.3 etc (it is possible there are bugs within these versions)

3) Tableau Server set up - single server only or gateway + worker nodes... I'm not that familiar with how the latter works, but is there a chance the successful publishes are hitting one of the worker nodes, while the failures are hitting another...?

Donna

• 4. Re: Cannot Publish to a specific site using Publisher Permissions
                Crystal D'souza

Hi Donna,

You did raise some points I may have missed out earlier.. .

1. The server version is 10.2.1

2. The desktop version is 10.2.1. (all cases of publish issues reported so far have been from 10.2.1 and mostly everyone in the team uses this version except a few who are still on 10.1 or older.).

-The same users who were unable to publish with a "publisher" site role, managed to successfully publish when their site role was changed to "Site Administrator" using the same desktop version (they were also able to successfully publish to other sites as well)

3. The Tableau server is a singer server only.

and to add a few more points,

4. the authentication used is AD authentication.

5. issue has been reported across user domains such as EMEA or APAC etc

This issue really has us stumped as we are unable to figure out what could be causing this behavior.

Thanks,

Crystal

• 5. Re: Cannot Publish to a specific site using Publisher Permissions
                  Donna Coles

All useful info Crystal.

The Site Admin role is very elevated, so it's good you've tested that as it rules out an issue specific to the user account itself.

Something else I just thought to check.  Have you got web authoring enabled and if so, can the users who are having difficulty publishing to the project, save a workbook created online into that project?  This will help narrow the problem down to being an issue on the server or something do to with publishing from desktop to server.

Additionally I've had a look in the v10.2.1+ release notes to see if there's anything that may be related that has been fixed.  I pulled these out..

fixed in v10.2.2
                  When you published a workbook via tabcmd, and it failed for a valid reason (e.g. incorrect data source information), subsequent attempts to republish the workbook would continue to fail even if the issue had been corrected.

fixed in 10.2.3
                  When embedded credentials was disabled, non-admin publishers trying to save a workbook in web authoring would encounter an unexpected error.

fixed in 10.2.4
                  When you published a workbook to a project, and then the workbook was moved to a different project by a server administrator, attempting to publish a workbook with the same name to the original project would result in an error: Workbook name is already in use. Publishing will overwrite the existing workbook.

Beyond that, assuming no one else jumps in on this thread, I think you'll have to raise to Tableau Support and provide the log files that get captured the user's machine who's running Desktop.  There might be some useful info in there.

Donna

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Cannot Publish to a specific site using Publisher Permissions
                    Crystal D'souza

Hi Donna,

Thanks so much for your insights. Learnt something new today. was surprised to find out about the issue 653348. Have to explore this more.

The known issues listed by you can be safely ruled out since they don't apply. We have tried a live connection, extract as well as superstore demo workbook. none of them work. and the publish attempts have always been via the tableau desktop and have been to different projects as well.

Although, I'd like to say, by some miracle, the publishes seem to work fine today. We only had to restart our Proxy Server due to some configuration change required as part of another topic. So only 2 changes today to the server environment. 1. A change in the web.config file on the proxy server and second, a restart to the proxy server and voila, suddenly all users were able to successfully publish. (Couldn't test your theory about web authoring due to this.)

I am still not sure which of these changes resolved the issue or if they were relevant ( I don't want to test the config changes and tempt fate and get stuck again ).

We did also raise a support case with Tableau, and while they were evaluating the logs, this just seemed to work.

Thanks so much for your assistance on this topic.

Regards,

Crystal

• 7. Re: Cannot Publish to a specific site using Publisher Permissions
                      Donna Coles

Hey Crystal

Great to hear its resolved even though you're not exactly sure why.  I guess its just one to note down for now in the event it happens again.

Regards

Donna