All users needing to publish to the server will also need the publisher site role assigned to them as well as the explicit publish permission assigned to the projects you want them to publish to.
I'm guessing this is probably already set since you said they've been able to do this before, but definitely worth double checking as something to rule out since you don't mention that above.
Yes, They do have a publisher site role and as I've mentioned in the post, we also double checked their permissions assigned to the projects as well and have played around with the permissions and pretty much given them full access.
The following permissions have been given to the users on the projects within the site
- Publisher on Projects
- Editor on Workbooks
- Editor on Datasources
Thanks for checking - I figured it was probably set but always worth double checking. I'm not able to offer any other ideas, but suggest you do add a bit more info about your server set up, as that may help others help you to troubleshoot the issue, such as
1) version of Tableau Server being used
2) version of Tableau Desktop being used
- you say v10.2 is being 'mostly' used, but are those who are successful actually using a different version to those who aren't perhaps?
- can you clarify the revision version of 10.2 ie is it 10.2.1 or 10.2.3 etc (it is possible there are bugs within these versions)
3) Tableau Server set up - single server only or gateway + worker nodes... I'm not that familiar with how the latter works, but is there a chance the successful publishes are hitting one of the worker nodes, while the failures are hitting another...?
You did raise some points I may have missed out earlier.. .
1. The server version is 10.2.1
2. The desktop version is 10.2.1. (all cases of publish issues reported so far have been from 10.2.1 and mostly everyone in the team uses this version except a few who are still on 10.1 or older.).
-The same users who were unable to publish with a "publisher" site role, managed to successfully publish when their site role was changed to "Site Administrator" using the same desktop version (they were also able to successfully publish to other sites as well)
3. The Tableau server is a singer server only.
and to add a few more points,
4. the authentication used is AD authentication.
5. issue has been reported across user domains such as EMEA or APAC etc
This issue really has us stumped as we are unable to figure out what could be causing this behavior.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
All useful info Crystal.
The Site Admin role is very elevated, so it's good you've tested that as it rules out an issue specific to the user account itself.
Something else I just thought to check. Have you got web authoring enabled and if so, can the users who are having difficulty publishing to the project, save a workbook created online into that project? This will help narrow the problem down to being an issue on the server or something do to with publishing from desktop to server.
Additionally I've had a look in the v10.2.1+ release notes to see if there's anything that may be related that has been fixed. I pulled these out..
fixed in v10.2.2
When you published a workbook via tabcmd, and it failed for a valid reason (e.g. incorrect data source information), subsequent attempts to republish the workbook would continue to fail even if the issue had been corrected.
fixed in 10.2.3
When embedded credentials was disabled, non-admin publishers trying to save a workbook in web authoring would encounter an unexpected error.
fixed in 10.2.4
When you published a workbook to a project, and then the workbook was moved to a different project by a server administrator, attempting to publish a workbook with the same name to the original project would result in an error: Workbook name is already in use. Publishing will overwrite the existing workbook.
Beyond that, assuming no one else jumps in on this thread, I think you'll have to raise to Tableau Support and provide the log files that get captured the user's machine who's running Desktop. There might be some useful info in there.
Thanks so much for your insights. Learnt something new today. was surprised to find out about the issue 653348. Have to explore this more.
The known issues listed by you can be safely ruled out since they don't apply. We have tried a live connection, extract as well as superstore demo workbook. none of them work. and the publish attempts have always been via the tableau desktop and have been to different projects as well.
Although, I'd like to say, by some miracle, the publishes seem to work fine today. We only had to restart our Proxy Server due to some configuration change required as part of another topic. So only 2 changes today to the server environment. 1. A change in the web.config file on the proxy server and second, a restart to the proxy server and voila, suddenly all users were able to successfully publish. (Couldn't test your theory about web authoring due to this.)
I am still not sure which of these changes resolved the issue or if they were relevant ( I don't want to test the config changes and tempt fate and get stuck again ).
We did also raise a support case with Tableau, and while they were evaluating the logs, this just seemed to work.
Thanks so much for your assistance on this topic.
Great to hear its resolved even though you're not exactly sure why. I guess its just one to note down for now in the event it happens again.