5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2017 9:55 PM by John Kuo

Tableau Server Services

kbj3030

Hi All,

If you go to Control Panel-Admin tools-Services or cmd prompt (type-services.msc). You can see the list of services

So, tableau has few services and they are with different accounts(under Log On As) as follows

Tableau Server Application Manager with 'domain\username(service account)'

Tableau Server License Manager with 'Local Service'

and in worker

Tableau Administrative Manager with 'Local System'

I have seen the below link and Tableau suggests the same format

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/runas_svc.htm

Therefore, my query here is,

1. What happens when the windows server gets rebooted due to patching updates or some other reasons. Will the Tableau application starts automatically or do we need to start them manually?

2. We have the command called Tabadmin autostart [on/off]. So, can I use this command to make tableau application start automatically by using the above mentioned Log On service accounts as suggested by Tableau?

3. What happens if I change all the Log On accounts with 'domain\username' i.e., service account instead of Local system/Local service. With this implementation, will the tableau application starts automatically when the server gets rebooted?

Request you to suggest some points on this. Let me know if you require any further info.

My requirement is , I want the Tableau application to start automatically whenever server gets rebooted.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Services
          Gary Li

Hi,

Since Tableau is running as a service, it'll automatically startup when the server is rebooted.  You can verify the StartupType is Automatic.

• 2. Re: Tableau Server Services
            lei.chen.0

Hello Trinadha,

To add some information,

1. By default, "Tableau Server Application Manager (tabsvc)" service will start automatically.

2. It seems that you've found tabadmin commands : autostart

It's the command to change if tabsvc's auto start behavior, the default is on, as mentioned in 1.

3. I suggest change autostart behavior via tabadmin, and change Log On account via Tableau Server Configuration, instead of modify them directly in Services.

Regards

Lei

• 3. Re: Tableau Server Services
              kbj3030

Thanks for your response Lei. May I know what happens if I change the other services to Run as user accounts(domainname/username) instead of Local system/local service

• 4. Re: Tableau Server Services
                lei.chen.0

Hello Trinadha,

Trinadha K wrote:

May I know what happens if I change the other services to Run as user accounts(domainname/username) instead of Local system/local service

By "the other services", do you mean the following three?

FLEXnet Licensing Service

Secondary Logon

Tableau Server License Manager

In general, if your Active Directory account can do everything (I mean access right) that the service accounts can do, the services are supposed to run normally with the Active Directory account. Meanwhile, if your Active Directory account has more rights than the service accounts, there might be security issues.

For your reference, according to Choosing the Service Account

Local System

This a predefined local account that has administrator rights on the local computer. A service that is running in the security context of the Local System account presents the local computer's credentials to remote servers. A service that is running in the security context of the Local System account cannot establish an authenticated session because the Local System account does not belong to the Everyone group in the domain. As a result, a service that uses this account can only access network resources by using a null session.

LocalService

This is a predefined local account that has authenticated user rights on the local computer. A service that is running in the security context of the LocalService account presents anonymous credentials to remote servers. As a result, a service that uses this account can only access network resources that permit anonymous access.

Regards

Lei

• 5. Re: Tableau Server Services
                  John Kuo

Trinhda - Just curious, why would you want to change which account the services run on? What are you trying to accomplish?

As Gary and Lei mentioned before, services will start automatically by default unless changed with tabadmin autostart.