3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2017 9:30 PM by Tom W

Configuring Parallel Queries in Tableau Desktop

Sunal Gupta

I cannot locate connections-config.xml file in my program files as per this link: http://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/Configuring-Parallel-Queries-in-Tableau-Desktop

Configuring Parallel Queries in Tableau Desktop | Tableau Software

The document says parallel query execution limit by default is set to 16,

1. what is the max i can set it to, given i work with sql server (PDW) and  oracle server

2. will it mean better query performance with higher the number i set for parallel query execution?

• 1. Re: Configuring Parallel Queries in Tableau Desktop
          Tom W

As per the link you've provided;

These settings are managed by an xml file named connection-configs.xml which you create and save in the Tableau Desktop folder (by default, C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau <Version> on a Windows computer

Please be sure to read all of the details.

• 2. Re: Configuring Parallel Queries in Tableau Desktop
            Sunal Gupta

Thank you Tom for your prompt response, this was self-explanatory in the document and i could have skipped asking this question, my apologies :). My questions was also regarding the parallel query execution limit, do you have any thoughts on this:-

The document says parallel query execution limit by default is set to 16,

1. what is the max i can set it to, given i work with sql server (PDW) and  oracle server

2. will it mean better query performance with higher the number i set for parallel query execution?

• 3. Re: Configuring Parallel Queries in Tableau Desktop
              Tom W

I don't know the maximum, you'd need to contact Tableau Support to find out

the specifics.

The increase on performance will depend entirely on your workbook. If you

only have one connection it probably won't make much of a difference. The

more connections you have though, the better it will perform if you have

them running in parallel. It would also depend on how much interaction

you're doing with your data i.e. filtering, drilling etc.

On Nov 12, 2017 11:50 PM, "Sunal Gupta" <tableaucommunity@tableau.com>