3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2017 2:01 PM by Toby Erkson

Cache options -

Sunil Tikar

Hello,

Just want a a clarity on one concept  - when we setup cache setting under "Data connection "  tab with balanced options. how exactly it works.

Per online help -

Balanced—Data is removed from the cache after a specified number of minutes. If the data has been added to the cache within the specified time range the cached data will be used, otherwise new data will be queried from the database

My Question -  lets say I set 60 mins for Balanced option then -

A. will  It clear all cache data after 60 minutes for each workbook /view exist in tableau server even though few workbooks data just added to cache ? OR

B. It will just clear cache data for workbooks /view those were rendered 60 minutes ago and will keep cache data for those workbooks/view those just rendered ( less then 60 minutes ago)

C. There is no mapping between cache data and views/dashboard ,  cache data can be consumed by multiple workbooks if result exist within cache data( cache hit) else it will be a cache miss and new data will be added to cache after querying database,but in that case what would be start time of 60 min counter assuming my tableau server rarely start/restarts ?

Thanks in advance.

Sunil Tikar

• 1. Re: Cache options -
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Sunil,

To answer at least one of your questions, the cache when set to balanced, will refresh for all views that were not refreshed in the last set amount of time. For example if view A was refreshed 30 minutes ago, and the cache is set to be balanced and reset at 60 minutes, the cache will be used. Though view B has a cache of data from 65 minutes ago, past the threshold, so the query would be sent to the data source itself, and the cache will be refreshed.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cache options -
            brian lilley-longville

Patrick Byrne

So if I publish a report today, but nobody accesses it until 12/1, does the "cache clock" not start ticking until it's accessed on 12/1?

• 3. Re: Cache options -
              Toby Erkson

My comments below:

Sunil Tikar wrote:

My Question - lets say I set 60 mins for Balanced option then -

A. will It clear all cache data after 60 minutes for each workbook /view exist in tableau server even though few workbooks data just added to cache ?  NO

B. It will just clear cache data for workbooks /view those were rendered 60 minutes ago and will keep cache data for those workbooks/view those just rendered ( less then 60 minutes ago)  YES

C. There is no mapping between cache data and views/dashboard , cache data can be consumed by multiple workbooks if result exist within cache data( cache hit) else it will be a cache miss and new data will be added to cache after querying database,but in that case what would be start time of 60 min counter assuming my tableau server rarely start/restarts ? Ya lost me

1 of 1 people found this helpful