1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2017 12:20 PM by Toby Erkson

Tabcmd

John Olcott

Using tabcmd to automate download of view documents. Using a batch file I need to include the password. Tried different ways of encrypting password but tabcmd won't accept the password. Found an article on this but the script won't work for me.

This is what's not working for me which was published in the article

SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS

set mypath="C:\temp\Get_EncryptedPassword.ps1"

set encrypted=" C:\temp\encrypt_pass_me.txt"

for /f "delims=" %%a in ('powershell . %mypath% %encrypted% ') do set pass_word=%%a

I get missing '(' in for command

• 1. Re: Tabcmd
          Toby Erkson

I recommend using a capital 'f' in your FOR statement:

for /F "delims=" %%a in ('powershell . %mypath% %encrypted% ') do set pass_word=%%a

Also, since there are no spaces in your file paths you can remove the quotes around them:

set mypath=C:\temp\Get_EncryptedPassword.ps1
          set encrypted=C:\temp\encrypt_pass_me.txt

Maybe it was a transcription mistake but there is a space following the first quote in your SET encrypted string

Fixed:

SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS 
          set mypath=C:\temp\Get_EncryptedPassword.ps1
          set encrypted=C:\temp\encrypt_pass_me.txt
          for /F "delims=" %%a in ('powershell . %mypath% %encrypted% ') do set pass_word=%%a 

• 2. Re: Tabcmd
            John Olcott

Thanks for the reply. I tried F but it didn’t work. It keeps saying there’s a missing opening (

I tried using no quotes in my set statements also.

• 3. Re: Tabcmd
              Jeff Strauss

try putting () around the do command.

for /F "delims=" %%a in ('powershell . %mypath% %encrypted% ') do (set pass_word=%%a)

• 4. Re: Tabcmd
                John Olcott

Thanks for the suggestion. This is what I get.

• 5. Re: Tabcmd
                  Toby Erkson

Shouldn't this be run in the command prompt, not in Powershell?

• 6. Re: Tabcmd
                    John Olcott

I was looking at the document and it said either. I’ll try it in cmd prompt. Thanks

• 7. Re: Tabcmd
                      Toby Erkson

What document?  Please provide the URL to it.  Details, we can never have enough of them.

• 8. Re: Tabcmd
                        Jeff Strauss

good point about running within cmd and not powershell.  And change the for line to look like this:

FOR /F "delims=" %%a in ('powershell . %mypath% %encrypted% ') do (set pass_word=%%a)

• 9. Re: Tabcmd
                          John Olcott

Found it online with your name on it as a matter of fact. Here it is. Thanks for looking.

• 10. Re: Tabcmd
                            John Olcott

Got a different error running it in cmd prompt.

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>SET LOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS

LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\administrator.BAC\AppData\Local

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set mypath=c:\users\administrator.BAC\get_encrypyedpa

ssword.ps1

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set encrypted=c:\users\administrator.BAC\password.txt

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>FOR  /F "delims=" %%a in ('powershell . %mypath% %enc

rypted%') do (set pass_word=%%a)

%%a was unexpected at this time.

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>FOR  /F "delims=" %%a in ('powershell . %mypath% %enc

rypted%') do set pass_word=%%a

rypted%') do (set pass_word=%%a)

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>

• 11. Re: Tabcmd
                              Jeff Strauss

cmd prompt is kind of finnicky.  If you run it interactive, then the variables need to be single %.  If you run the commands through a cmd script (i.e. trythis.cmd), then the variables need to be %% like what is above.  So try saving it as a .cmd file and then execute this .cmd file from the prompt and then let's see what you get.

• 12. Re: Tabcmd
                                Toby Erkson

Exactly where?  I've got a lot "out there" and I can see this needs updating.

The commands are for cmd.exe (a.k.a. DOS) batch script.  Powershell is only for the password un/encryption.  I need to make this more clear because I thought it was obvious but your questions show that it's not.

• 13. Re: Tabcmd
                                  Toby Erkson

Yes, you cannot run this individually, line-by-line, from the cmd.exe prompt!  It needs to be a batch script.

• 14. Re: Tabcmd
                                    John Olcott

Ran it in batch from cmd prompt. Thanks

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>SET LOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS

LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\administrator.BAC\AppData\Local

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set mypath="c:\users\administrator.BAC\get_encrypyedp

assword.ps1"

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set encrypted="c:\users\administrator.BAC\password.tx

t"

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>FOR /F "delims=" %a in ('powershell . "c:\users\admin

istrator.BAC\get_encrypyedpassword.ps1" "c:\users\administrator.BAC\password.txt

"') do set pass_word=%a

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set pass_word=. : The term 'c:\users\administrator.BA

C\get_encrypyedpassword.ps1' is not

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set pass_word=recognized as the name of a cmdlet, fun

ction, script file, or operable

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set pass_word=program. Check the spelling of the name

, or if a path was included, verify

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set pass_word=that the path is correct and try again.

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set pass_word=At line:1 char:3

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set pass_word=+ . c:\users\administrator.BAC\get_encr

ypyedpassword.ps1

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set pass_word=c:\users\administrator.BA ...

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set pass_word=+   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set pass_word=    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNot

Found: (c:\users\admini...yedpassword.p

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set pass_word=   s1:String) [], CommandNotFoundExcept

ion

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set pass_word=    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNo

tFoundException

C:\Users\administrator.BAC>set pass_word=

1 2 Previous Next