8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2017 6:41 AM by Tom W

RSS Feed

Ali Raza

is there any step by step for showing rss feed in a dashboard without installing a web server like (WAMP) Ben Sullins did in his post. i need to embed a RSS Feed from google to tableau and using excel is not a good option as i have to update it every hour or so to get new source.

is there an option to do this with the web data connector or something.

• 1. Re: RSS Feed
          Chris McClellan

RSS as in a news feed ?

If so, does the provider have a humanly-readable page that you can insert as a webpage on your dashboard ?

Also, do you want a solution for Desktop only, or are you going to publish to Server ?

• 2. Re: RSS Feed
            Tom W

Are you trying to embed it or it as a datasource?

If you're just trying to embed it, use a hosted service like feedbucket - FeedBucket - Web RSS Reader

If you want to use it as a datasource, you'll need to parse it somehow; you could use a Google Sheet connector and put scripting logic within the Google Sheet to parse the feed or build a Web Data Connector.

• 3. Re: RSS Feed
              Ali Raza

i am sorry for the confusion let me explain as much as i can

i want to create a dashboard with google rss news rss feed into it. i think i would need that as a source rather than embed so i can do top N or most recent one functions on it as i want to display it like a new bar kinda thing.

the dashboard is going to be a standalone file and not on server for now, but in the future we are trying to get server as well, but it will come into play after a couple of months.

• 4. Re: RSS Feed
                Ali Raza

is there a step by step for the data web connector for the rss feed without using a WAMP server.

• 5. Re: RSS Feed
                  Tom W

Ali Raza wrote:

is there a step by step for the data web connector for the rss feed without using a WAMP server.

You don't have to use WAMP, but you do have to host a web data connector on a server somewhere. Whether that's IIS, WAMP, AWS, Azure etc.

If you don't have access to a web server and/or you don't know how to code then this isn't going to be feasible.

Frankly if you don't know how to code, I don't know what the most viable option for you here is. You need a script of some sort to parse the RSS feed into something which Tableau can access.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: RSS Feed
                    Chris McClellan

I think you're mixing up a few things here.

If you want an RSS feed for data - then I'd be investigating WDC (I'm not even sure it handles RSS) and if you want to manage that all locally then you have to setup WAMP (or some other local web service)

But you want to use an RSS feed for news (which doesn't really sound like data at all), especially when you say Google News.

I think what you need instead is to find a good RSS aggregator (which might be just using the proper tools in Google anyway) to filter the feed to the news articles that you want.  Then include in your dashboard as a webpage.

• 7. Re: RSS Feed
                      Ali Raza

Adding to the question now that i know alittle more about Web data connector thanks to you guys, i was thrown into tableau out of the blue i am basically an oracle DBA hence the stupid questions.

i have installed tableau server, and wamp now, i can write java script and html code, java and python are not something i know that much.

is this the best guide out there or is there any other methods i can use

https://bensullins.com/embedding-google-news-feeds-into-tableau/

• 8. Re: RSS Feed
                        Tom W

Ali Raza wrote:

is this the best guide out there or is there any other methods i can use

I don't know of a guide which specifically exists for creating a WDC to ingest and parse an RSS feed, but then again I haven't really needed one or looked.

My expectation is that you're going to have to write this from scratch and there probably won't be much available as reference material specific to WDC and RSS - I'm drawing this conclusion because if it existed, I'd expect there to be a Community connector for RSS feeds already available.

I think you'll need to familiarize yourself with WDC's in general, then apply that to getting the RSS feed parsed.

The developer portal contains lots of references and documentation on WDC's

Developer Portal