4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2017 8:22 AM by Toby Erkson

Worker node question: Do you set up worker admin configs like primary?

Toby Erkson

Here's a snippet of a batch file I use to set up my primary server:

REM Disable suspension of failing background tasks but still have emails sent
      tabadmin set backgrounder.failure_threshold_for_run_prevention "'-1'"

REM The number of minutes of idle time before a sign-in to the web application times out.  60 minutes
      tabadmin set wgserver.session.idle_limit 60

REM Seconds beyond the query limit before a task is canceled, in seconds (900 seconds = 15 minutes)
      tabadmin set backgrounder.extra_timeout_in_seconds 900

1. Do I need to do the same thing for my worker?  Or does the primary make the necessary changes (copies them over to the worker)?
      2. I have a couple .tdc files, do these need to be copied to the worker or does the primary do that?

Background:  I'm FINALLY moving from a single server to a 2-node environment (primary & 1 worker) but I'm not sure if worker tweaks are necessary and when to apply them if so.

• 1. Re: Worker node question: Do you set up worker admin configs like primary?
          Jeff Strauss

Hey Toby.

The tabadmin set commands will cascade from the primary down to the workers automatically once you do a "tabadmin config".  But some of the settings won't take immediate effect until after you do a "tabadmin restart".

I don't know about the .tdc files since I don't use these currently.  But according to this link Using a .tdc File with Tableau Server | Tableau Software  it seems you have to place these manually.

Also, is the -1 in the first tabadmin set to disable the suspension?  I've never seen this.

P.S. What are they feeding these runners in Portland?  In October, the first American man (from Portland) won the Chicago Marathon for the first time in 15 years, and this weekend the first American woman (from Portland) won the NYC Marathon for the first time in 40 years.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Worker node question: Do you set up worker admin configs like primary?
            Toby Erkson

Thanks Jeff.  I didn't pay attention to my test install about the config files until later.  The tabadmin restart makes sense now about it packaging stuff and sending it to the worker, I remember seeing that somewhere during the end of the process.  I'll modify my server settings batch script so it includes my external file changes e.g. .tdc.

The -1 for that setting:  I got it from a post by Mark Wu.  It allows the Tableau Server to send emails without stopping (no limits) and it won't cancel the subsequent refreshes.  So it acts like the earlier versions of Tableau Server where an email was sent every time a refresh failed no matter what.

Hmm, not being the physically active type of person I don't know what it is...clean air and water with a touch more sunshine than Washington?

• 3. Re: Worker node question: Do you set up worker admin configs like primary?
              Jeff Strauss

cool.  I learned something new today about the -1 setting.

And about the settings, if you look in the tabadmin logs, you'll see the transference of the configs between primary and workers.

Portland = beautiful country!!! 

• 4. Re: Worker node question: Do you set up worker admin configs like primary?
                Toby Erkson

Okay, I reran the whole install process and the primary does appear to take almost all custom 'stuff' and copy it over to the worker.  My .tdc files were brought over...

...as was my .tms file...

...and even the customizations made using tabadmin...

...the above .yaml file contents...

However, custom images for Projects were not transferred over (on the primary server there are .jpg files here)...

...however, the custom logo images were copied...

So to answer my own questions:

1. Do I need to do the same thing for my worker?  Or does the primary make the necessary changes (copies them over to the worker)?

The primary makes the necessary changes based upon my observation so it's not necessary to do the same thing for the worker(s).

1. I have a couple .tdc files, do these need to be copied to the worker or does the primary do that?

The primary takes care of this as well as .tms and custom header/logo image files

When saving the primary configuration it will bundle the necessary files and send them to the worker.  Here's just one of the messages displayed during this phase: