4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2017 11:56 PM by ankit.narula

Excel data source as a scheduled extract

Dheeraj H

Hi all,

My source file is a weekly excel file received from business team at a store and week level. the excel file we receive will be just for the last week and we manually append that to master excel file that has all previous week data  for historic reporting and then we publish the excel data source to the server.

The question we have here is, once the reports are officially deployed, we might not be part of the team and this needs to be automated.

a) How to create a auto extract daily/weekly schedule from an excel file ?

b) We need to have a system in place that refreshes the published extract weekly based on latest week's excel file. Is this possible without a database table. If yes, how ?

c) Is it possible to place the excel in a shared drive/ server from where the scheduled refresh takes place. (rather than from the user's desktop )

Is there a better way to incorporate this ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Excel data source as a scheduled extract

Hey Dheeraj H,

Donna Coles works with Excel files as data sources often.

I invite you to read the following thread, it replies to your queries a, b and c

Thread: How to update excel as data source on weekly basis and used for reporting?

Let me know if you need further assistance.

----------

Lénaïc RIÉDINGER, Global Community Engineer Tableau

Tableau Community Forums | Knowledge Base

If you see a Helpful or Correct response, please mark it thanks to the buttons below the targeted post!

• 2. Re: Excel data source as a scheduled extract
            ankit.narula

Hi Dheeraj,

My Comments :

a)How to create a auto extract daily/weekly schedule from an excel file ?

You can create extract of excel and publish the data source to Tableau Server.Then change the source and point to Tableau Source.There you can schedule a refresh as per your requirement.

b) We need to have a system in place that refreshes the published extract weekly based on latest week's excel file. Is this possible without a database table. If yes, how ?

It is possible,keep the source file at the same place with the same name.Refresh will be taken care by Tableau.

c) Is it possible to place the excel in a shared drive/ server from where the scheduled refresh takes place. (rather than from the user's desktop )

Yes,you can keep the excel file on server and make sure the same file is connected to tableau published source which is connected with Tableau Workbook.Also the user publishing the workbook should have rights to access the location of the source file.

Try this.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Excel data source as a scheduled extract
              Dheeraj H

Thanks Lenaic and Ankit.

I have around 15 tabs in my source excel and the resulting 15 data sources created in tableau.

At present  I am doing the development with mock-up data and once I deploy, the key business user will be updating the excel with original data on a weekly basis.

What will be the procedure to re point the all 15 data sources in the report from my excel to the user's original version of excel when i deploy.

Do I have to do a one time from user's excel ( from his system) and then publish once for the first time and then add it to schedule ? This might not be possible as business team does not want us ( dev team ) to have access to original/actual data.

If i have to do all dev activities again from actual excel from business user, then it will be complete rework. Please suggest.

• 4. Re: Excel data source as a scheduled extract
                ankit.narula

Hi,

The easiest way I see here is to advise the business to keep the file names and field names the same way it is in current source.

Even the data types should be same as current source(Mock data).

Then you can guide your users on how to replace the data sources in Tableau.

and I think you have to do it 15 times as there are 15 different sources.

Thanks

1 of 1 people found this helpful