1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 20, 2017 2:42 PM by Deepak Rai

Data Source works perfectly with a inner join from one Excel tab to another, but multiplies the results when another is joined

Kevin Reed

Tableau Desktop, Professional Edition - v. 10.1.11 64 bit

I export my data from our PostgreSQL database into an xls file with three tabs and in the Data Source tab, I drag the first tab over and then the second. But when I add a the third tab, it multiplies the results in the vizzies I've created.

DB-Hospitals contains (36 rows, one record for each hospital with demographic data) a Hospital ID field. DB-IncomeStatement has the identical ID column (1,620 rows of monthly data for the 36 hospitals for the last 3+ years). When an inner join is used between these two files, the results are verified in the database and everything is as expected. Everything's cool.

But when I add the DB-BalanceSheet (1,620 rows of monthly data for the 36 hospitals for the last 3+ years, just like the income statement table) tab as another data source, the values are multiplied. This tab in the Excel workbook has the exact same Hospital ID as the other two files (tabs in Excel) and has an inner join.

The data source in the screenshot below works as expected.

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 3.21.37 PM.png

However, adding the DB-BalanceSheet table multiplies the results in the Vizzies:

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 3.23.28 PM.png

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

My colleagues that are more Tableau savvy have looked at this issue but don't know why it would take a data element and multiply it by a large number.