3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2017 8:34 AM by Tom W

Shapes for Multiple Measures

Jordan Laughlin

I am running 6 different error checks for property management: Each property unit is checked if they have an amenity (furnished, pool view, etc.) and if they are paying for that amenity.

I have already created the calculated fields for these, so for example, a furnished error check will show a 0 if they have the amenity but are not paying, 1 if they have the amenity and are paying, and null if they do not have the amenity.

In the attached sample workbook, I would like a more intuitive view with Shapes: an X instead of 0, check mark instead of 1, and blank for null. However, Tableau will not allow me to drag the Measure Values to the Shape mark.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Shapes for Multiple Measures
          Tom W

I apologize for not attaching the workbook and data, but it is connected to SQL tables and has a lot of sensitive data.

You can always still attach a sample - Packaged workbooks: when, why, how

I'd suggest you change the mark type to 'Shape' and then drag measure names onto the marks card.

• 2. Re: Shapes for Multiple Measures
            Jordan Laughlin

Thanks, Tom. I attached a sample workbook with a sampling of the data to the original post.

I'd suggest you change the mark type to 'Shape' and then drag measure names onto the marks card.

I tried your suggestion, but this only adds a different shape per measure (e.g. a star for the 'furnished check' measure), rather than a shape per measure value (X for 0, check for 1, blank for null).

• 3. Re: Shapes for Multiple Measures
              Tom W

Sorry, I misunderstood. You are correct, you cannot drive the shape off the measure value.

One alternative is to setup a bunch of fake columns (1 per 'check') and then setup the shape for the individual column, one per check.

This is achieved by created a calculated field called 1 with a formula of 1. If you drag it out onto the column shelf and set the aggregation to 1, it will always be 1. This allows you to set the axis range to be a min of 1 and max of 1, then your mark (in our case a shape) will be centered in the middle of the column.

I've set you up an example with three fields. You'll need to create some new calculations to determine if the check is an error or not, you'll see in my examples how I've done this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful